MariMed Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2022 Financial Results
NORWOOD, Mass., March 01, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — MariMed Inc. (“MariMed” or the “Company”) (CSE: MRMD) (OTCQX: MRMD), a leading multi-state cannabis operator focused on improving lives every day, today announced its financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2022.
I am pleased to report that our fourth quarter revenue grew sequentially and year-over-year as we continued to outperform the industry in all of our key states. Headwinds continued to challenge the industry, and the economy impacted consumer spending, yet MariMed delivered strong financial results, including positive cash flows from operations for the third consecutive year.
Jon Levine, Chief Executive Officer
Our balance sheet strength, coupled with our outstanding retail and wholesale operations, high-quality and innovative product portfolio, and exceptional customer service, should fuel accelerated growth in 2023 and beyond.
The following table summarizes the consolidated financial highlights for the three months and full years ended December 31, 2022 and 2021 (in millions, except percentage amounts):
¹See the reconciliations of non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP measures and additional information about non-GAAP measures in the section entitled “Discussion of Non-GAAP Financial Measures” in the attached schedules.
MariMed management will host a conference call to discuss the Company’s financial results on Thursday, March 2, 2023, at 8:00 a.m. Eastern time. The conference call may be accessed through MariMed’s Investor Relations website by clicking the following link: Q422 Earnings Call.
FOURTH QUARTER 2022 OPERATIONAL HIGHLIGHTS
During the fourth quarter, the Company announced the following facets of its strategic growth plan, including:
- October 5: The opening of its first medical dispensary in Annapolis, Maryland, marking the beginning of the Company’s fully vertical operations in that state. The Panacea Wellness dispensary is the eighth retail location across four states that MariMed either owns or manages. MariMed hosted a grand opening ceremony with several local, county, and state dignitaries in attendance to celebrate commencement of operations. In November 2022, voters approved the legalization of adult use sales. MariMed expects to build out its footprint in Maryland to the maximum allowable operations over time.
- October 25: The evolution of its award-winning and top-selling Betty’s Eddies fruit chews line, which was custom formulated to address consumer demand for cannabis edibles that meet specific needs such as sleep aid, relaxation, pain relief, stress relief, heightened libido, and more.
- December 21: The launch of its limited-edition candy cane flavored vape pens under its InHouse brand, available at select cannabis dispensaries in Massachusetts and Maryland, including MariMed’s Panacea Wellness locations in both states. The Company launched InHouse in early 2022 as an option for cannabis consumers seeking high quality, value-priced products.
Subsequent to the end of the fourth quarter of 2022, the Company announced the following:
- January 24: The closing of a $35 million senior secured credit facility with a $30 million draw down at close and the ability to draw up to an additional $5 million through June 2023. The facility has a three-year maturity and bears interest at a rate of prime plus 5.75%. Funds will be used for completing the build-out of a new cultivation and processing facility in Illinois and a new processing kitchen in Missouri, expanding the existing cultivation and processing facilities in Massachusetts and Maryland, funding other capital expenditures, and repaying in full the Kind Therapeutics seller notes from the Maryland acquisition, which closed in April 2022, with any remaining balance to be used for acquisitions.
- February 21: Agreement to acquire the operating assets of Ermont, Inc., a medical licensed, vertical cannabis operator in Massachusetts. The acquisition includes an operational medical dispensary in Quincy, just South of Boston, as well as a co-located cultivation facility, and Community Host Agreements to conduct medical and adult-use retail sales. The Company will apply to the state to allow adult-use sales and will expand the dispensary to accommodate the projected increased traffic. MariMed also plans to repurpose the existing cultivation facility for pheno-hunting, which is currently conducted in New Bedford, MA, thus freeing up much needed canopy for its award-winning Nature’s Heritage flower.
2023 FINANCIAL GUIDANCE
MariMed remains committed to its proven strategic growth plan and continues to operate cannabis facilities with some of the highest margins and returns in the industry. In 2023, the Company anticipates opening four new dispensaries; one each in Ohio and Illinois, and two in Massachusetts.
The Company also anticipates opening new wholesale facilities in both Illinois and Missouri. Revenue and Adjusted EBITDA are projected to grow over the course of the year as these new facilities become operational. MariMed anticipates significant increases to its headcount in 2023 ahead of these new and expanded assets coming online.
The Company’s financial guidance is in part dependent on factors that it cannot control, such as the timing of regulatory approvals for facility openings, supply chain availability related to the build out of these facilities and hiring and retaining new employees. MariMed’s fiscal 2023 outlook is currently as follows:
- Revenue of $150+ million
- Gross margin in line with full year 2022
- Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA of $35+ million
- Capital expenditures of $30 million
In 2022, we reported double-digit revenue growth for the fifth consecutive year, and positive Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA for the twelfth consecutive quarter. MariMed remains one of the only MSOs with both positive net income and cash flow from operations.
Susan Villare, Chief Financial Officer
It is a very exciting time to be a part of MariMed and we look forward to accelerating our revenue growth as our six new and two expanded state-of-the-art facilities are completed over the course of 2023.
DISCUSSION OF NON-GAAP FINANCIAL MEASURES
MariMed’s management uses several different financial measures, both GAAP and non-GAAP, in analyzing and assessing the overall performance of its business, and making operating decisions, planning and forecasting future periods. The Company has provided in this release several non-GAAP financial measures: Non-GAAP Gross margin, Non-GAAP Net income (loss), Non-GAAP EBITDA, Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA, Non-GAAP EBITDA margin and non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA margin, as supplements to Revenue, Gross margin, Net income (loss) and other financial measures prepared in accordance with GAAP.
Management believes these non-GAAP financial measures are useful in reviewing and assessing the performance of the Company, and when planning and forecasting future periods, as they provide meaningful operating results by excluding the effects of expenses that are not reflective of its operating business performance. In addition, the Company’s management uses these non-GAAP financial measures to understand and compare operating results across accounting periods and for financial and operational decision-making. The presentation of these non-GAAP measures is not intended to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for the financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP.
Management believes that investors and analysts benefit from considering non-GAAP financial measures in assessing the Company’s financial results and its ongoing business, as it allows for meaningful comparisons and analysis of trends in the business. In particular, non-GAAP adjusted EBITDA is used by many investors and analysts themselves, along with other metrics, to compare financial results across accounting periods and to those of peer companies.
As there are no standardized methods of calculating non-GAAP financial measures, the Company’s calculations may differ from those used by analysts, investors and other companies, even those within the cannabis industry, and therefore may not be directly comparable to similarly titled measures used by others.
Management defines non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA as net income, determined in accordance with GAAP, excluding the following items:
- interest income and interest expense;
- income taxes;
- depreciation of fixed assets;
- amortization of acquired intangible assets;
- Impairment or write-downs of intangible assets;
- stock-based compensation;
- legal settlements;
- acquisition-related and other;
- other income and other expense;
- and discontinued operations.
For further information, please refer to the publicly available financial filings available on MariMed’s Investor Relations website, as filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, or as filed with the Canadian securities regulatory authorities on the SEDAR website.
MariMed Inc., a multi-state cannabis operator, is dedicated to improving lives every day through its high-quality products, its actions, and its values. The Company develops, owns, and manages seed to sale state-licensed cannabis facilities, which are models of excellence in horticultural principles, cannabis cultivation, cannabis-infused products, and dispensary operations. MariMed has an experienced management team that has produced consistent growth and success for the Company and its managed business units. Proprietary formulations created by the Company’s technicians are embedded in its top-selling and award-winning products and brands, including Betty’s Eddies, Nature’s Heritage, InHouse, Bubby’s Baked, K Fusion, Kalm Fusion, and Vibations: High + Energy. For additional information, visit www.marimedinc.com.