Ayr Wellness Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2022 Results
MIAMI, March 09, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Ayr Wellness Inc. (CSE: AYR.A, OTCQX: AYRWF) (“Ayr” or the “Company”), a leading vertically integrated U.S. multi-state cannabis operator (“MSO”), is reporting financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2022. Unless otherwise noted, all results are presented in U.S. dollars.
I’d like to thank our team for pulling together to deliver a strong fourth quarter, growing our adjusted EBITDA by 20% sequentially, and a second straight quarter of generating positive cash flow from operations.
David Goubert, President & CEO of Ayr
In the past few months, our team has begun the process of evaluating every aspect of our business with fresh eyes, conducting a thorough review of our markets, our people, and our processes, all in service seeking to maximize the financial health of our Company and better position Ayr as a retailer of choice and house of brands.
“Throughout that process, we have implemented cost saving measures, stepped back from certain markets that didn’t align with our core business goals, and invested further into markets and activities that did meet those goals. By better prioritizing our time, our attention, and our capital, we find ourselves better positioned to capture growth opportunities in our existing and future footprint, which we anticipate will help us grow our cash flow profile, our revenue, and adjusted EBITDA margins consistently throughout 2023.”
Fourth Quarter and Recent Highlights
- Retail Updates
- Opened two new dispensaries in Florida during the fourth quarter and an additional two stores in the first quarter of 2023, bringing Ayr’s total footprint to 55 dispensaries across the state.
- Began adult-use sales alongside the Company’s established medical sales at Ayr’s Somerville, Massachusetts retail dispensary.
- Announced Ayr’s three retail locations in New Jersey, formerly known as Garden State Dispensary, are now operating under the AYR Dispensary brand.
- Brand/Product Updates
- Introduced HAZE live resin concentrates and vapes across the Company’s footprint in Florida and Nevada.
- Expanded Levia water-soluble tinctures to Ayr’s Florida retail menus.
- Announced plans to rebrand all of the Company’s Florida stores from Liberty Health Sciences to AYR Cannabis Dispensary this summer.
- Corporate Updates
- Announced mutual termination of Ayr’s proposed acquisition of the equity interests of Gentle Ventures, LLC d/b/a Dispensary 33, and certain of its affiliates that collectively own and operate two licensed retail dispensaries in Chicago, Illinois.
- Signed a definitive agreement to sell Blue Camo, LLC which comprises the Company’s Arizona assets, to AZ Goat, LLC, a group consisting primarily of the former owners of Blue Camo.
- Entered into an option to acquire two Ohio dispensary licenses from Daily Releaf, LLC and Heaven Wellness, LLC, to begin establishing a vertical integrated presence in the state.
Full Year 2022 Highlights
- Added 14 dispensaries across Ayr’s eight state footprint, bringing its total dispensary count to 80 stores.
- Launched adult-use retail sales in New Jersey and Massachusetts.
- Completed acquisitions of Cultivauna, LLC, the owner of Levia-branded cannabis infused beverages, and Herbal Remedies Dispensaries, LLC; Signed a management services agreement with Tahoe Hydroponics, LLC and NV Green, Inc.
- Won a provisional cultivation license in Connecticut alongside Ayr’s operating partner, which will also provide Ayr with two retail licenses in the state.
- Completed $114 million of real estate financing transactions at a blended cost of capital at closing of ~8.0% per annum.
- Completed construction of cultivation facilities in Massachusetts, New Jersey and Ohio.
Financing and Capital Structure
The Company deployed $3.6 million of capital expenditures in Q4 and ended the year with a cash balance of $80.6 million.
As of December 31, 2022, the Company had approximately 70.9 million fully diluted shares outstanding based on a treasury method calculation as of that date.i
The Company anticipates its financial results in the first quarter of 2023 to be consistent with industry trends, expecting revenue and adjusted EBITDA in Q1 2023 to be in-line with Q4 2022. Ayr expects to further ramp revenue, adjusted EBITDA and operating cash flow thereafter.
Ayr management will host a conference call, followed by a question-and-answer period.
Conference Call Date: Thursday, March 9, 2023
Time: 8:30 a.m. ET
Toll-free dial-in number: (800) 319-4610
International dial-in number: (604) 638-5340
Conference ID: 10021221
Please dial into the conference call 5-10 minutes prior to the start time. An operator will register your name and organization. If you have any difficulty connecting with the conference call, please contact the Company’s investor relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The conference will be broadcast live and available for replay here.
A telephonic replay of the conference call will also be available for one month beginning at 11:30 a.m. ET on Thursday, March 9, 2023.
Toll-free replay number: (855) 669-9658
International replay number: (412) 317-0088
Replay ID: 9867
Certain financial information reported in this news release is extracted from Ayr’s Consolidated Financial Statements and MD&A for years December 31, 2022 and 2021. Ayr files its financial statements and MD&A on SEDAR and with the SEC. All financial information contained in this news release is qualified in its entirety by reference to such financial statements and MD&A.
Definition and Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Measures
The Company reports certain non-GAAP measures that are used to evaluate the performance of its businesses and the performance of their respective segments, as well as to manage their capital structures. As non-GAAP measures generally do not have a standardized meaning, they may not be comparable to similar measures presented by other issuers. Securities regulators require such measures to be clearly defined and reconciled with their most comparable GAAP measures.
Rather, these are provided as additional information to complement those GAAP measures by providing further understanding of the results of the operations of the Company from management’s perspective. Accordingly, these measures should not be considered in isolation, nor as a substitute for analysis of the Company’s financial information reported under GAAP. Non-GAAP measures used to analyze the performance of the Company’s businesses include “Adjusted EBITDA” and “Adjusted Gross Profit.”
The Company believes that these non-GAAP financial measures provide meaningful supplemental information regarding the Company’s performances and may be useful to investors because they allow for greater transparency with respect to key metrics used by management in its financial and operational decision-making. These financial measures are intended to provide investors with supplemental measures of the Company’s operating performances and thus highlight trends in the Company’s core businesses that may not otherwise be apparent when solely relying on the GAAP measures.
“Adjusted EBITDA” represents (loss) income from operations, as reported under GAAP, before interest and tax, adjusted to exclude non-core costs, other non-cash items, including depreciation and amortization, and further adjusted to remove non-cash stock-based compensation, impairment expense, the accounting for the incremental costs to acquire cannabis inventory in a business combination, acquisition related costs, and start up costs.
Adjusted Gross Profit
“Adjusted Gross Profit” represents gross profit, as reported, adjusted to exclude the accounting for the incremental costs to acquire cannabis inventory in a business combination, interest, depreciation and amortization and start-up costs.
A reconciliation of how Ayr calculates Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted Gross Profit is provided in the tables appended below. Additional reconciliations of Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted Gross Profit and other disclosures concerning non-GAAP measures are provided in our MD&A for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2022 and 2021.
Assumptions and Risks
Forward-looking information in this release is subject to the assumptions and risks as described in our MD&A for the year ended December 31, 2022.
For more information about the Company’s Q4 and full year 2022 operations and outlook, please view Ayr’s corporate presentation posted in the Investors section of the Company’s website at www.ayrwellness.com.
About Ayr Wellness Inc.
Ayr is an expanding vertically integrated, U.S. multi-state cannabis operator. Based on the belief that everything starts with the quality of the plant, the Company’s mission is to cultivate the finest quality cannabis at scale and deliver remarkable experiences to its customers every day.
Ayr’s leadership team brings proven expertise in growing successful businesses through disciplined operational and financial management, and is committed to driving positive impact for customers, employees and the communities they serve. For more information, please visit www.ayrwellness.com.
Get ahead of the crowd by signing up for 420 Investor when it becomes available again. It’s the largest & most comprehensive premium service for cannabis investors since 2013.