GW Pharmaceuticals plc Reports First Quarter 2017 Financial Results and Operational Progress
- Epidiolex® NDA submission and launch preparation on track
- New Positive Phase 2 glioma data further demonstrates value of cannabinoid pipeline
- Conference call today at 8:30 a.m. EST
LONDON, Feb. 07, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — GW Pharmaceuticals plc (NASDAQ:GWPH) (GW, the Company or the Group), a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics from its proprietary cannabinoid product platform, announced financial results for the first quarter ended 31 December 2016.
As we look forward to 2017, our primary focus is on completing the Epidiolex NDA, which we expect to submit to the FDA in the middle of this year. With three positive Phase 3 trials delivered in 2016, we remain confident in the prospects for Epidiolex’s approval and are accelerating our preparations for a highly successful launch.
Justin Gover, GW’s Chief Executive Officer
Beyond Epidiolex, the value of GW’s cannabinoid platform is further illustrated by promising new clinical data in the field of oncology and we continue to advance a number of additional clinical programs that will yield data this year.
- Epidiolex® (CBD) orphan epilepsy program in Dravet syndrome, Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (LGS), Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC) and infantile spasms (IS)
- NDA submission for both Dravet and LGS indications expected mid 2017
- Preparations advancing for expected EU regulatory submission in H2 2017
- Positive results in a pivotal Phase 3 Dravet syndrome trial and in two pivotal Phase 3 LGS trials
- Substantial new data presented at the American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting in December 2016
- Manufacturing scale-up on track to deliver significant commercial launch inventory
- Pre-NDA CMC meeting held with FDA in November 2016
- Successful UK regulatory GMP inspection of GW manufacturing facility in December 2016. On track for FDA GMP inspection anticipated in H2 2017
- Expanded access program and open label extension:
- Over 1,200 patients now on Epidiolex treatment
- 97 percent of patients who complete Phase 3 trials have entered long term extension
- US commercial team build well underway and pre-launch preparations advancing well
- EU commercial team now being established
- Follow-on indications:
- Phase 3 trial in TSC ongoing
- Two part Phase 3 trial in IS commenced in December 2016
- Intellectual Property:
- Patent portfolio being prosecuted with claims directed to the use of CBD in the treatment of epilepsy seizure subtypes and epilepsy syndromes
- THC:CBD for Glioma
- Positive Phase 2 placebo-controlled data in Recurrent Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) (see separate announcement issued today)
- Orphan Drug Designation from FDA and EMA
- Multiple relevant patents granted or in process
- Other cannabinoid pipeline product candidates:
- CBDV Phase 2 partial-onset epilepsy study in adults ongoing. Part A complete and Part B underway with data expected H2 2017
- CBDV pre-clinical research ongoing within field of autism spectrum disorders. Phase 2 trials expected to commence in H2 2017
- Orphan Drug Designation from FDA for CBDV for the treatment of Rett syndrome
- Neonatal Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (NHIE) intravenous CBD program
- Phase 1 trial commenced in October 2016
- Orphan Drug and Fast Track Designations granted from FDA and EMA
- Revenue for the three months ended 31 December 2016 of £2.1 million ($2.5 million) compared to £3.7 million for the three months ended 31 December 2015
- Loss for the three months ended 31 December 2016 of £15.6 million ($19.3 million) compared to £17.7 million for the three months ended 31 December 2015
- Cash and cash equivalents at 31 December 2016 of £360.2 million ($444.6 million) compared to £374.4 million as at 30 September 2016
Solely for the convenience of the reader, the above balances have been translated into U.S. dollars at the rate on 31 December 2016 of $1.23429 to £1. These translations should not be considered representations that any such amounts have been, could have been or could be converted into U.S. dollars at that or any other exchange rate as at that or any other date.
Conference Call and Webcast Information
GW Pharmaceuticals will host a conference call and webcast to discuss the first quarter 2017 financial results today at 8:30 a.m EST. To participate in the conference call, please dial 877-407-8133 (toll free from the U.S. and Canada) or 201-689-8040 (international). Investors may also access a live audio webcast of the call via the investor relations section of the Company’s website at http://www.gwpharm.com. A replay of the call will also be available through the GW website shortly after the call and will remain available for 90 days. Replay Numbers: (toll free):1-877-481-4010, (international):1-919-882-2331. For both dial-in numbers please use conference ID # 13654672.
About GW Pharmaceuticals plc
Founded in 1998, GW is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics from its proprietary cannabinoid product platform in a broad range of disease areas. GW is advancing an orphan drug program in the field of childhood epilepsy with a focus on Epidiolex® (cannabidiol), which is in Phase 3 clinical development for the treatment of Dravet syndrome, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, Tuberous Sclerosis Complex and Infantile Spasms. GW commercialized the world’s first plant-derived cannabinoid prescription drug, Sativex®, which is approved for the treatment of spasticity due to multiple sclerosis in 31 countries outside the United States. The Company has a deep pipeline of additional cannabinoid product candidates which includes compounds in Phase 1 and 2 trials for glioma, schizophrenia and epilepsy. For further information, please visit www.gwpharm.com.
Original press release: http://ir.gwpharm.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1010671
Before this cannabis stock news is here, it’s published to subscribers on 420 Investor.