High Tide Reports First Quarter 2021 Financial Results Featuring a 179% Increase in Revenue and Record Adjusted EBITDA of $4.6 Million
CALGARY, AB, March 31, 2021 /PRNewswire/ – High Tide Inc. (“High Tide” or the “Company”) (TSXV: HITI) (OTCQB: HITIF) (FRA: 2LY), a retail-focused cannabis corporation enhanced by the manufacturing and distribution of consumption accessories, filed its financial results for the first fiscal quarter of 2021 ending January 31, 2021, the highlights of which are included in this news release. The full set of Condensed Interim Consolidated Financial Statements and Management’s Discussion and Analysis can be viewed by visiting High Tide’s website at www.hightideinc.com, its profile page on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
First Quarter 2021 – Financial Highlights:
- Revenue increased by 179% to $38.3 million in the first quarter of 2021 compared to $13.7 million in the same quarter last year. The first quarter of 2021 financial results incorporate the acquisition of META Growth Corp. on November 18, 2020.
- Gross profit increased by 208% to $14.8 million in the first quarter of 2021 compared to $4.8 million in the same quarter last year.
- Gross profit margin in the first quarter of 2021 was 39% compared to 35% in the same quarter last year.
- Adjusted EBITDA(1) for the first quarter of 2021 was $4.6 million compared to negative $0.8 million for same quarter last year.
- Geographically in the first quarter of 2021, $34.2 million of revenue was earned in Canada, $3.9 million in the United States and $0.2 million internationally.
- Segment-wise in the first quarter of 2021, $36.8 million of revenue was generated by Retail, $1.5 million by Wholesale, and an immaterial amount by Corporate.
- Cash on hand as at January 31, 2021 totaled $16.6 million compared to $7.5 million as at October 31, 2020. The Company’s cash balance has subsequently increased to approximately $33 million as of today.
“I am extremely proud of our team for delivering the highest quarterly profit in High Tide’s history. Despite facing the same challenges that all retailers have confronted during this pandemic, we recently crossed the 80-store milestone across Canada. Between the commencement of our application to list on the Nasdaq and the subsequent filing of the 40-F form with the SEC, and securing the acquisition of Smoke Cartel, the first quarter of 2021 has seen our team deliver on significant milestones that will drive future growth,” said Raj Grover, President and Chief Executive Officer.
Over the past few months, we have worked diligently to integrate META Growth into the High Tide family and as a result have already achieved 71% of our targeted synergies. As market dynamics continue to evolve in Canada, we are taking aggressive steps to adjust our business model, where appropriate, while pursuing expansion opportunities in the United States and Europe that would have an immediate positive impact on EBITDA.
Raj Gover, President and CEO
Fiscal First Quarter 2021 – Operational Highlights:
- The Company completed the acquisition of META Growth Crop. and became the leading Canadian cannabis retailer by annualized revenue.
- The Company’s common shares moved up to the TSX Venture Exchange.
- The Company extended the maturity date on a $10.0 million credit facility with Windsor Capital to December 31, 2021 with a subsequent one-year extension to December 31, 2022 and a reduction of interest rate from 11.5% to 10.0%.
- The Company entered into a loan agreement for $6.75 million maturing on December 31, 2024 of an undrawn balance on a $20.0 million credit facility obtained through the acquisition of META Growth Corp. Additionally, the Company extended maturity of META’s existing debt to December 31, 2024 and a reduction of all-inclusive interest rate from 12.5% to 10.0%. As of the date of this press release, the $6.75 million facility remains undrawn.
- Approximately $7.4 million of debt converted into the Company’s common shares.
- The Company opened three cannabis retail locations under the Canna Cabana and META banners: one in Guelph, Ontario, one in Toronto, Ontario, and one in Calgary, Alberta.
- The Company closed an oversubscribed bought deal equity financing for gross proceeds of $23 million.
- After the first quarter of 2021, approximately $23 million of debt converted into the Company’s common shares.
- The Company announced filing of Form 40-F with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission fulfilling a significant milestone for the NASDAQ listing.
- The Company completed the acquisition of Smoke Cartel, Inc. (OTCQB: SMKC) for US$8.0 million.
- Between February 1, 2021 and the date of this press release, the Company opened nine cannabis retail locations: seven in Alberta and two in Ontario.
- Through the COVID-19 pandemic, all retail branded locations have remained operational, despite the complex conditions facing the retail industry across Canada. The Company has been nimble and adapted to frequently changing regulations – often at a municipal level – including launching delivery services to continue serving customers.
Selected financial information for the first quarter ended January 31, 2021:
The following is a reconciliation of Adjusted EBITDA to Net Loss:
With the transaction of META having closed, the Company has solidified its leadership position in Canada. High Tide remains focused on the Ontario market. While pandemic restrictions caused a delay in construction in much of the province, the Company is encouraged by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario’s decision on February 16, 2021 to increase the pace of Retail Store Authorizations it issues from 20 to 30 a week. The Company expects to reach 30 open stores in the province by September 30, 2021, the date on which the cap for any one retailer can own is set to increase from 30 to 75.
While competition is increasing in the Alberta cannabis market, the Company has still been able to find pockets of areas where it believes it can profitably open new stores. With the slowdown in construction in Ontario, the Company has increased the pace of buildouts in Alberta and expects more locations to open in the province next month.
The Company has been actively following developments in the U.S. cannabis sector, and while it appears that further liberalisation regarding the federal regulatory and legislative environment is possible, our immediate strategy does not rely on regulatory change. Despite this, we remain just one transaction away from entering the bricks and mortar retail market in the U.S. when federally permissible. High Tide believes it is very well positioned to take advantage of the growing ancillary and hemp derived CBD markets and estimates its current revenue run rate in the U.S., pro forma for the Smoke Cartel acquisition, to be over $25 million today. The Company is in discussions with various parties across the federally permissible ecosystem in the U.S. which could help further expand its operations – and believes that its current financial health and application to list its shares on the Nasdaq may help accelerate its growth.
About High Tide Inc.
High Tide is a retail-focused cannabis company enhanced by the manufacturing and distribution of consumption accessories. The Company is the largest Canadian retailer of recreational cannabis as measured by revenue, with 80 branded retail cannabis locations spanning Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. High Tide’s retail segment features the Canna Cabana, KushBar, Meta Cannabis Co., Meta Cannabis Supply Co. and NewLeaf Cannabis banners, with additional locations under development across the country. High Tide has been serving consumers for over a decade through its numerous consumption accessory businesses including e-commerce platforms Grasscity.com and CBDcity.com, and its wholesale distribution division under Valiant Distribution, including the licensed entertainment product manufacturer Famous Brandz. High Tide’s strategy as a parent company is to extend and strengthen its integrated value chain, while providing a complete customer experience and maximizing shareholder value. Key industry investors in High Tide include Aphria Inc. (TSX:APHA) (NYSE:APHA) and Aurora Cannabis Inc. (NYSE:ACB) (TSX:ACB).
For more information about High Tide Inc., please visit www.hightideinc.com and its profile page on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
Get ahead of the crowd by signing up for 420 Investor, the largest & most comprehensive premium subscription service for cannabis traders and investors since 2013.