Trulieve Reports Third Quarter 2022 Results and Drives Forward Progress on Strategic Vision
- Revenue increased 34% year over year to $301 million with GAAP gross margin of 56%
- Industry leading U.S. retail network of 176 dispensaries, supported by over 4 million square feet of cultivation and processing capacity
- Capital, data, distribution and scaled capacity position Trulieve for Cannabis 2.0
TALLAHASSEE, Fla., Nov. 9, 2022 /CNW/ — Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (CSE: TRUL) (OTCQX: TCNNF) (“Trulieve” or “the Company”), a leading and top-performing cannabis company in the U.S., today announced its results for the quarter ended September 30, 2022. Results are reported in U.S. dollars and in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles unless otherwise indicated. Numbers may not sum perfectly due to rounding.
Q3 2022 Financial and Operational Highlights*
- Grew revenue by 34% year over year to $301 million, with 94% of revenue from retail sales.
- Achieved GAAP gross margin of 56%, with gross profit of $168 million.
- Reported net loss of $115 million. Adjusted net income of $4 million* excludes $26 million of transaction, acquisition, integration, and other non-recurring charges; $93 million in asset impairments, disposals and discontinued operations, primarily associated with the strategic repositioning away from margin dilutive and cash flow negative assets through the closure of dispensaries in California, redundant cultivation in Florida and the exit of wholesale operations in Nevada.
- Generated adjusted EBITDA of $99 million*, or 33% margin.
- Ended the third quarter with $114 million in cash.
- Invested $38 million in capital expenditures. Expect significant decline in supply chain investments in 2023 following a multi-year investment cycle to support future growth.
- Coordinated response efforts for Hurricane Ian. Deployed mobile tech and operational teams to deliver supplies and donations, assist recovery efforts, and restore operations.
- Expanded market leading retail positions in Arizona, Florida, and West Virginia, with 11 new dispensary openings, including the first Trulieve branded store in Arizona, in the Roosevelt Row neighborhood of Phoenix.
- Increased utilization at new indoor 750K square foot cultivation facility in Florida, allowing for lower production costs and banking of legacy capacity for future use.
- Commenced cultivation operations in Georgia to support production of low THC oil products for retail launch in early 2023.
- Rolled out customer data platform in Arizona and Pennsylvania while deepening capabilities in Florida. Continue to refine our digital customer journey using AI driven technology and integrated commerce capabilities.
- Contributed to the Smart and Safe Florida campaign, which aims to legalize adult use marijuana in Florida through a ballot initiative in November 2024.
*See “Non-GAAP Financial Measures” below for additional information and a reconciliation to GAAP for all Non-GAAP metrics.
- Launched Khalifa Kush Cannabis products exclusively in Florida at Trulieve dispensaries in October.
- Expanded retail network in core markets with two new dispensaries in Arizona and Florida.
- Rebranded Glendale, Arizona dispensary. Plan to rebrand additional Arizona locations ahead of peak tourism and sporting events in February and March 2023.
- Awarded cannabis cultivation license in Connecticut which allows for two additional dispensaries.
- Currently operate 178 retail dispensaries and over 4 million square feet of cultivation and processing capacity in the United States.
“Our team demonstrated tremendous flexibility and cross functional capabilities during the third quarter,” said Kim Rivers, Trulieve CEO. “We navigated macroeconomic pressure, changes to dosing limits in our core state of Florida, and the impact of Hurricane Ian while making further progress streamlining the organization.”
U.S. cannabis has significant white space ahead, with many states yet to implement medical or adult use programs and a growing appetite for substantive federal reform.
Kim Rivers, Trulieve CEO
Trulieve has been preparing for this next phase of industry evolution for years, building our regional hub strategy, scaling cutting edge cultivation and manufacturing capacity, expanding our leading retail platform, investing in data technology and perfecting the customer journey.
We anticipate fourth quarter results will be influenced by holiday retail performance and promotional activity across core markets during the latter half of the quarter. Based on our performance year to date and current trends, we are targeting the low end of 2022 guidance of $1.25 billion to $1.3 billion in revenue and $415 million to $450 million in Adjusted EBITDA.
The Company will host a conference call and live audio webcast on November 9, 2022, at 5:30 P.M. Eastern time, to discuss its third quarter 2022 financial results. Interested parties can join the conference call by dialing in as directed below. Please dial in 15 minutes prior to the call.
North American toll free: 1-888-254-3590
A live audio webcast of the conference call will be available at: https://app.webinar.net/xX6Q5JE71z3
A powerpoint presentation and archived replay of the webcast will be available at https://investors.trulieve.com/events-presentations
The Company’s Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2022, will be available on the SEC’s website or at https://investors.trulieve.com/financial-information/quarterly-results. The Company’s Management Discussion and Analysis for the period and the accompanying financial statements and notes will be available under the Company’s profile on SEDAR and on its website at https://investors.trulieve.com/financial-information/quarterly-results. This news release is not in any way a substitute for reading those financial statements, including the notes to the financial statements.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In addition to our results determined in accordance with GAAP, we supplement our results with non-GAAP financial measures, including adjusted EBITDA, adjusted gross profit, adjusted net income (loss), adjusted net income (loss) per diluted share. Our management uses these non-GAAP financial measures in conjunction with GAAP financial measures to evaluate our operating results and financial performance. We believe these measures are useful to investors as they are widely used measures of performance and can facilitate comparison to other companies. These non-GAAP financial measures have limitations as analytical tools in that they do not reflect all of the amounts associated with our results of operations as determined in accordance with GAAP. Because of these limitations, these non-GAAP financial measures should be considered along with GAAP financial performance measures. The presentation of these non-GAAP financial measures is not intended to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for, or superior to, financial information prepared and presented in accordance with GAAP. Investors are encouraged to review the reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measures. A reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measures to such GAAP measures can be found below. These non-GAAP financial measures should be considered supplemental to, and not a substitute for, our reported financial results prepared in accordance with GAAP.
Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA
The following table presents a reconciliation of GAAP net income (loss) to non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA, for each of the periods presented:
Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Adjusted Gross Profit
The following table presents a reconciliation of GAAP gross profit to non-GAAP adjusted gross profit, for each of the periods presented:
Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Adjusted Net Income
The following table presents a reconciliation of GAAP net income (loss) to non-GAAP adjusted net income, for each of the periods presented:
Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Adjusted Earnings Per Share
The following table presents a reconciliation of GAAP earnings (loss) per share to non-GAAP adjusted earnings per share, for each of the periods presented:
Trulieve is an industry leading, vertically integrated cannabis company and multi-state operator in the U.S., with established hubs in the Northeast, Southeast, and Southwest, anchored by leading market positions in Arizona, Florida, and Pennsylvania. Trulieve is poised for accelerated growth and expansion, building scale in retail and distribution in new and existing markets through its hub strategy. By providing innovative, high-quality products across its brand portfolio, Trulieve delivers optimal customer experiences and increases access to cannabis, helping patients and customers to live without limits. Trulieve is listed on the CSE under the symbol TRUL and trades on the OTCQX market under the symbol TCNNF. For more information, please visit Trulieve.com.