WM Technology, Inc. Reports Third Quarter Results and Leadership Transition
- Announces Third Quarter 2022 Financial Results with Revenue of $50.5 million
- Chris Beals steps down; Doug Francis, co-founder, Executive Chair, and former CEO to lead in the interim
IRVINE, Calif. November 07, 2022–(BUSINESS WIRE)–WM Technology, Inc. (“WM Technology” or the “Company”) (Nasdaq: MAPS), a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, today announced its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2022 and a leadership transition to position the Company for its next phase of growth.
Third Quarter 2022 Financial Highlights
- Revenue was $50.5 million as compared to $50.9 million in the third quarter of 2021.
- Average monthly paying clients(1) was 5,576, as compared to 4,444 from the prior year period.
- Average monthly revenue per paying client(2) was $3,019, as compared to $3,817 from the prior year period.
- Net loss was $10.5 million as compared to net income of $49.2 million from the prior year period.
- Adjusted EBITDA(3) was $(9.6) million as compared to $10.4 million from the prior year period. Prior to provision for doubtful accounts (non-cash), Adjusted EBITDA(3) was $0.5 million
- Basic and diluted net loss per share was $0.06 based on 89.6 million of Class A Common Stock weighted average shares outstanding.
- Revenue was $50.5 million as compared to $50.9 million in the third quarter of 2021.
- Total shares outstanding across Class A and Class V Common Stock were 146.4 million as of September 30, 2022.
- Cash totaled $34.2 million as of September 30, 2022, with no long-term debt.
Reconciliations of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures have been provided in the tables included in this release.
(1) Average monthly paying clients are defined as the average of the number of paying clients billed in a month across a particular period (and for which services were provided).
(2) Average monthly revenue per paying client is defined as the average monthly revenue for any particular period divided by the average monthly paying clients in the same respective period.
(3) For further information about how we calculate EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts as well as limitations of their use and a reconciliation of EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts to net (loss) income, see “Reconciliation of Net (Loss) Income to EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts” below.
The Company announced that Doug Francis, co-founder and Executive Chair, will be taking a more active role in leading the Company. Mr. Francis succeeds Chris Beals, who has decided to step down from his role as Chief Executive Officer and from the Board of Directors. Mr. Francis is the co-founder of WM Technology and the Executive Chair of the Board of Directors. He was previously CEO of the Company prior to Mr. Beals and has worked closely with the Company’s management team over the last quarter since being appointed as Executive Chair.
WM Technology has evolved significantly since Justin and I co-founded the Company 14 years ago as a marketplace connecting Cannabis consumers and businesses. Today, we have one of the most comprehensive technology platform powering the industry with a data advantage that we believe is unparalleled.
Doug Francis, Executive Chair
While end-market conditions have been challenging, we can be executing at a higher level by getting more focused and streamlined. We have significant opportunities to expand our moats and build the future rails for the Cannabis industry while working to get back to our operating culture of driving profitable growth and cashflow. I look forward to working closely with our management team.
“As the Company’s co-founder and former CEO as well as a pioneer in the Cannabis industry, Doug has the expertise and acumen to lead WM Technology as we conduct a search for the Company’s next CEO,” said Brenda Freeman, Lead Independent Director of the Board. “On behalf of the Board, we wanted to thank Chris for his service-to-date. The Board, Doug and WM Technology’s management team are committed to ensuring a successful transition, and we are fortunate to have a leader of Doug’s caliber to help ensure WM Technology continues executing its strategy and creating value for our shareholders.”
Fourth Quarter 2022 Business Outlook
Based on current business trends and conditions, we expect our revenue for the second half will be closer to the wide end of our guidance, which implies a year-over-year decline in the low double digit percentage area for fourth quarter revenue. We expect fourth quarter Adjusted EBITDA will be further impacted by provision for doubtful accounts, which we expect will remain elevated in the fourth quarter based on aging of our receivables though significantly lower than the third quarter.
The guidance provided above is only an estimate of what we believe is realizable as of the date of this release. This guidance assumes that no business acquisitions, investments, restructurings, or legal settlements are concluded in the quarter. Our results are based on assumptions that we believe to be reasonable as of this date, but may be materially affected by many factors, as discussed below in “Forward-Looking Statements.” Actual results may vary from the guidance and the variations may be material. We undertake no intent or obligation to publicly update or revise any of these projections, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
Conference Call Details
The Company will host a conference call and webcast today, Monday, November 7, 2022, at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time). Participants may register for the call at https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/qp839exf. A live webcast of the call will also be available on the WM Technology investor relations website at ir.weedmaps.com.
Earnings Presentation Details
A presentation with information on our Third Quarter 2022 earnings results can be found at ir.weedmaps.com at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
About WM Technology
Founded in 2008, WM Technology operates a leading online marketplace with a comprehensive set of eCommerce and compliance software solutions sold to retailers and brands in the U.S. state-legal and Canadian cannabis markets. The Company’s mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. We address the challenges facing both consumers seeking to understand cannabis products and businesses who serve cannabis users in a legally compliant fashion with our Weedmaps marketplace and WM Business software solutions. Over the past 14 years, we have grown the Weedmaps marketplace to become a premier destination for cannabis consumers to discover and browse information regarding cannabis and cannabis products, permitting product discovery and order-ahead for pickup or delivery by participating retailers. WM Business is a set of eCommerce-enablement tools designed to help our retailer and brand clients get the best out of their Weedmaps experience, while creating labor efficiency and managing their compliance needs.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Our financial statements, including net income (loss), are prepared in accordance with principles generally accepted in the United States of America (“GAAP”).
To provide investors with additional information regarding our financial results, we have disclosed EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts, all of which are non-GAAP financial measures that we calculate as net income (loss) before interest, taxes and depreciation and amortization expense in the case of EBITDA and further adjusted to exclude stock-based compensation, change in fair value of warrant liability, transaction related bonuses, transaction costs, legal settlements and other non-cash, unusual and/or infrequent costs in the case of Adjusted EBITDA. Adjusted EBITDA is further adjusted to exclude provision for doubtful accounts for the case of Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts. Below we have provided a reconciliation of net (loss) income (the most directly comparable GAAP financial measure) to EBITDA; from EBITDA to Adjusted EBITDA; and from Adjusted EBITDA to Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts
We present EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts because these metrics are a key measure used by our management to evaluate our operating performance, generate future operating plans and make strategic decisions regarding the allocation of investment capacity. Accordingly, we believe that EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts provide useful information to investors and others in understanding and evaluating our operating results in the same manner as our management.
EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts have limitations as an analytical tool, and you should not consider it in isolation or as a substitute for analysis of our results as reported under GAAP. Some of these limitations are as follows:
- although depreciation and amortization are non-cash charges, the assets being depreciated and amortized may have to be replaced in the future, and EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts do not reflect cash capital expenditure requirements for such replacements or for new capital expenditure requirements;
- EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts do not reflect changes in, or cash requirements for, our working capital needs; and
- EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts do not reflect tax payments that may represent a reduction in cash available to us.
Because of these limitations, you should consider EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts alongside other financial performance measures, including net income (loss) and our other GAAP results.
Definition of Key Operating and Financial Metrics
- Average Monthly Revenue Per Paying Client: Average monthly revenue per paying client measures how much clients, for the period of measurement, are willing to pay us for our subscription and additional offerings and the efficiency of the bid-auction process for our featured listings placements. We calculate this metric by dividing the average monthly revenue for any particular period by the average monthly number of paying clients in the same respective period. The calculation of monthly revenue includes revenue from any clients that cease to be paying clients during the applicable month.
- Average Monthly Paying Clients: We define average monthly paying clients as the monthly average of clients billed each month over a particular period (and for which services were provided).
Get ahead of the crowd by signing up for 420 Investor when it becomes available again. It’s the largest & most comprehensive premium service for cannabis investors since 2013.