WM Technology, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2022 Financial Results
Announces Fourth Quarter 2022 Financial Results with Revenue of $49.3 million with Full Year Revenue of $215.5 million
IRVINE, Calif., March 16, 2023–(BUSINESS WIRE)–WM Technology, Inc. (“WM Technology” or the “Company”) (Nasdaq: MAPS), a leading technology and technology solutions provider to the cannabis industry, today announced its financial results for the fourth quarter ending December 31, 2022.
Our fourth quarter results, consistent with our prior guidance, reflect both the continued importance of WM Technology to our clients and users as well as the challenging operating environment that exists today in cannabis.
Doug Francis, Executive Chair of WM Technology
Having returned in November to an operating role at Weedmaps, I have spent the past four months listening to our clients’ needs and working actively with our teams to build an achievable plan for 2023. This plan will enable Weedmaps to expand our leadership role, help drive market stability, and allow our clients to experience profitable and sustainable growth. Further, we now have a financial outlook that returns us to our roots of top-line growth as well as positive Adjusted EBITDA and cash flow.
Fourth Quarter 2022 Financial Highlights
- Revenue was $49.3 million as compared to $54.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Average monthly paying clients(1) was 5,689, as compared to 4,766 in the prior year period.
- Average monthly revenue per paying client(2) was $2,888, as compared to $3,789 in the prior year period.
- Net loss was $60.8 million as compared to net income of $78.4 million in the prior year period. The net loss included the impact of severance payments related to headcount reductions as well as a non-cash charge related to a full valuation allowance recorded against deferred tax assets.
- Adjusted EBITDA(3) was $1.5 million as compared to $3.8 million in the prior year period. Prior to provision for doubtful accounts (non-cash), Adjusted EBITDA(3) was $3.9 million as compared to $6.3 million in the prior year period.
- Basic and diluted net loss per share were $1.19 based on 91.4 million weighted average shares of Class A Common Stock outstanding.
- Total shares outstanding across Class A and Class V Common Stock were 147.5 million as of December 31, 2022.
- Cash totaled $28.6 million as of December 31, 2022, with no long-term debt.
Fiscal Year 2022 Financial Highlights
- Revenue was $215.5 million for the year ended December 31, 2022, as compared to $193.1 million in the prior year.
- Average monthly paying clients(1) was 5,457, as compared to 4,337 in the prior year.
- Average monthly revenue per paying client(2) was $3,291, as compared to $3,711 in the prior year.
- Net loss was $82.7 million as compared to net income of $152.2 million in the prior year.
- Adjusted EBITDA(3) was $(9.6) million as compared to $31.7 million in the prior year.
- Basic and diluted net loss per share were $1.36 based on 85.0 million weighted average shares of Class A Common Stock outstanding.
Reconciliations of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures have been provided in the tables included in this release.
(1) Average monthly paying clients are defined as the average of the number of paying clients billed in a month across a particular period (and for which services were provided).
(2) Average monthly revenue per paying client is defined as the average monthly revenue for any particular period divided by the average monthly paying clients in the same respective period.
(3) For further information about how we calculate EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts as well as limitations of their use and a reconciliation of EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts to net (loss) income, see “Reconciliation of Net (Loss) Income to EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts” below.
Based on information available as of March 16, 2023, WM Technology is issuing guidance for the first quarter of 2023 as follows:
- Revenue is estimated to be $47 million.
- Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA(1) is estimated to be approximately $4 million.
The guidance provided above is only an estimate of what we believe is realizable as of the date of this release. We are not readily able to provide a reconciliation of projected Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA to projected net income without unreasonable effort. This guidance assumes that no business acquisitions, investments, restructurings, or legal settlements are concluded in the periods. Our results are based on assumptions that we believe to be reasonable as of this date, but may be materially affected by many factors, as discussed below in “Forward-Looking Statements.” Actual results may vary from the guidance and the variations may be material. We undertake no intent or obligation to publicly update or revise any of these projections, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
(1) For further information about how we calculate EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts as well as limitations of their use and a reconciliation of EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts to net (loss) income, see “Reconciliation of Net (Loss) Income to EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts” below.
Investor Conference Call and Webcasts
The Company will host a conference call and webcast today, Thursday, March 16, 2023, at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time) at https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/nbphbmfy. A webcast replay will also be archived at ir.weedmaps.com.
The Company has used, and intends to continue to use, the investor relations portion of its website as a means of disclosing material non-public information and for complying with disclosure obligations under Regulation FD.
About WM Technology
Founded in 2008, and headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology, Inc. operates a leading online cannabis marketplace for consumers together with a comprehensive set of eCommerce and compliance software solutions for cannabis businesses, which are sold to retailers and brands in the United States state-legal and Canadian cannabis markets. The Company’s comprehensive business-to-consumer (“B2C”) and business-to-business (“B2B”) suite of products afford cannabis retailers and brands of all sizes integrated tools to compliantly run their businesses and to reach, convert, and retain consumers.
The Company’s mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. The Company’s technology addresses the challenges facing both consumers seeking to understand cannabis products and businesses who serve cannabis users in a legally compliant fashion. Over the past 14 years, Weedmaps has become a premier destination for cannabis consumers to discover and browse information regarding cannabis and cannabis products, permitting product discovery and order-ahead for pickup or delivery by participating retailers. Weedmaps for Business is a set of eCommerce-enablement tools designed to help retailers and brands get the best out of the Weedmaps’ consumer experience, create labor efficiencies, and manage compliance needs.
WM Technology, Inc. holds a strong belief in the importance of enabling safe, legal access to cannabis for consumers worldwide. The Company believes it offers the only comprehensive software platform that allows cannabis retailers to reach their target audience, quickly and cost effectively, addressing a wide range of needs. The Company is committed to building the software solutions that power cannabis businesses compliantly in the industry, to advocating for legalization, licensing and social equity of cannabis, and to facilitating further learning through partnership with subject matter experts to provide detailed, accurate information about cannabis.
WM Technology, Inc. supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Our financial statements, including net income (loss), are prepared in accordance with principles generally accepted in the United States of America (“GAAP”).
To provide investors with additional information regarding our financial results, we have disclosed EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts, all of which are non-GAAP financial measures that we calculate as net income (loss) before interest, taxes and depreciation and amortization expense in the case of EBITDA and further adjusted to exclude stock-based compensation, change in fair value of warrant liability, change in tax receivable agreement liability, impairment charges, transaction related bonuses, transaction costs, legal settlements and other legal costs, reduction in force and executive departures and other non-cash, unusual and/or infrequent costs in the case of Adjusted EBITDA. Adjusted EBITDA is further adjusted to exclude provision for doubtful accounts for the case of Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts. Below we have provided a reconciliation of net (loss) income (the most directly comparable GAAP financial measure) to EBITDA; from EBITDA to Adjusted EBITDA; and from Adjusted EBITDA to Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts.
We present EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts because these metrics are a key measure used by our management to evaluate our operating performance, generate future operating plans and make strategic decisions regarding the allocation of investment capacity. Accordingly, we believe that EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts provide useful information to investors and others in understanding and evaluating our operating results in the same manner as our management.
Each of EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts has limitations as an analytical tool, and you should not consider any of these non-GAAP financial measures in isolation or as a substitute for analysis of our results as reported under GAAP. Some of these limitations are as follows:
- although depreciation and amortization are non-cash charges, the assets being depreciated and amortized may have to be replaced in the future, and EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts do not reflect cash capital expenditure requirements for such replacements or for new capital expenditure requirements;
- EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts do not reflect changes in, or cash requirements for, our working capital needs; and
- EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts do not reflect tax payments that may represent a reduction in cash available to us.
Because of these limitations, you should consider EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA before Provision for Doubtful Accounts alongside other financial performance measures, including net income (loss) and our other GAAP results.
Definition of Key Operating and Financial Metrics
- Average Monthly Revenue Per Paying Client: Average monthly revenue per paying client measures how much clients, for the period of measurement, are willing to pay us for our subscription and additional offerings and the efficiency of the bid-auction process for our featured listings placements. We calculate this metric by dividing the average monthly revenue for any particular period by the average monthly number of paying clients in the same respective period. The calculation of monthly revenue includes revenue from any clients that cease to be paying clients during the applicable month.
- Average Monthly Paying Clients: We define average monthly paying clients as the monthly average of clients billed each month over a particular period (and for which services were provided).
Get ahead of the crowd by signing up for 420 Investor when it becomes available again. It’s the largest & most comprehensive premium service for cannabis investors since 2013.