TORONTO, April 27, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Emblem Corp. (“Emblem” or the “Company”) (TSX-V:EMC) (EMC.WT), today reported its results for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2017. All amounts are expressed in Canadian dollars.
- Generated $2.69 million in revenues and reported gross profit of $490,000 during 2017
- Granted licence to sell cannabis oils by Health Canada
- Won Top Licensed Producer Customer Service Award at the 2017 Canadian Cannabis Awards
- Registered approximately 2,500 new patients during 2017, an increase of 1250% from 2016
- Raised a total of $44.7 million in gross proceeds from equity and debt financings
- Appointed Nick Dean as Emblem’s Chief Executive Officer and President
- Entered into an agreement with Canntab Therapeutics Limited (“Canntab”) to collaborate on the patent-pending oral sustained-release formulation for cannabinoids
- Entered into a licensing agreement with Dosecann to collaborate on the development of a cannabis-oil spray dosage form, that will be followed by the development of dose-controlled vaporizers
- Substantially completed Phase 2 expansion of the Company’s current facility expansion plan, providing an additional 5,200 square feet of grow space
- Commenced construction of 30,000 square foot Phase 3 expansion which will accommodate a GMP extraction facility, laboratory and pharmaceutical production facility
- Purchased 80 acres of land in Paris Ontario for cultivation expansion and product development purposes
Current 2018 Highlights to Date:
- Generated record revenues of $1.2 million in the first quarter of 2018
- Increased patient count to approximately 3,300 patients
- Signed a key supplier agreement to become a medical cannabis supplier to Shoppers Drug Mart Inc.
- Invested in Fire & Flower Inc. and entered into 3-year preferred supplier agreement
- Continued to build a world-class leadership team with several key additions
- Raised $53.8 million in gross proceeds from equity and debt financings
2017 marked a transformational year for Emblem, as it achieved many milestones against product development (oils license received in Q4) and cultivation expansion. We are incredibly encouraged by the growth achieved through our patient acquisition efforts, the strategic partnerships formed with both Dosecann and Canntab, which position Emblem as a leader in product innovation, and the professional leadership team we began to assemble.
Nick Dean, Chief Executive Officer and President of Emblem
“The revenue and gross profit achieved in 2017 is a testament that Emblem is building a company focused on achieving fundamental business objectives that will drive long-term value for our shareholders. With the foundation firmly in place across product innovation, brand relevance, and access to end-user, our management team and the board of directors are encouraged with the prospects to significantly improve our revenue and margin profile as we enter 2018.”
Revenues increased to $2,694,000 in 2017 from $277,000 in 2016, an increase of 873%. Revenues of $1,740,000 (2016 – $28,000) were generated from dried flower sales to registered medical patients and $362,000 (2016 – $181,000) from sales to other licensed producers. The average selling price of total product sold to medical patients during 2017 was $8.24 per gram (2016 – $7.01 per gram). Emblem received its licence to sell cannabis oil during late 2017 and generated revenue from cannabis oil products of $18,000 (2016 – $nil). During 2017, GrowWise Health Limited generated education fee revenue from other licensed producers of $514,000 (2016 – $39,000).
Gross Profit (Loss)
Recorded gross profit for the first time, with an increase of $750,000 from 2016. Gross profit for 2017 increased due to higher revenues and an increase in the unrealized gain on changes in fair value of biological assets resulting from additional cultivation capacity added during the year. With a total of five grow rooms completed and the receipt of the licence for sale of cannabis oil during late 2017, the Company expects to generate a steady increase in gross profit during the course of 2018.
General and administrative expenses increased primarily due to an increase in administration personnel both at the production facility and the Company’s head office, investor and shareholder relations costs, consulting and professional fees, audit and legal services and other public company costs. The increase in selling and marketing costs is primarily attributable to the commencement of sales to registered patients in late 2016, which required increased sales and marketing personnel and related expenses. Higher share-based payments expense is due to the granting of options in 2016 and 2017, most of which vest equally over three years.
The Company’s Adjusted EBITDA increased by $2,818,000 or 24% during 2017, when compared with 2016. The increase in Adjusted EBITDA is mainly a result of a lower net loss reported for the current year.
Emblem’s plan for 2018 focuses on further strengthening the Company’s position as a leading medical cannabis company, while creating a brand-leading division launch within the burgeoning adult-use market, slated to begin in the third quarter of 2018. With the successful completion of the two most recent financing transactions in November 2017 and January 2018, the Company has a cash balance of approximately $80 million available today to support its growth plans for 2018.
The financial strength of Emblem’s balance sheet allows the Company to complete the construction of our state-of-the-art cultivation and manufacturing facilities in Paris, Ontario, and seek out opportunities for further cultivation expansion. In addition, Emblem will be making strategic investments in pharmaceutical research and development, clinical research, marketing and promotion, product development and licensing, allowing the Company to maintain its leadership position within the medical-use market, while preparing Emblem for a unique and competitive advantage in the adult-use market.
Emblem’s medical division entered 2018 with four different cannabis oils and a production capacity to meet the anticipated market demand for these oils, while at the same time developing additional oils with different cannabinoid profiles. During the first quarter of 2018, sales of cannabis oils grew rapidly and represented approximately 30% of the Company’s total sales. The Company expects that as dried flower is displaced in the medical cannabis market by oils and oils are, in turn, displaced by more advanced pharmaceutical formulations, the effect will be accretive to the market. The Company intends to bring oral metered dose spray formulations and oil-filled capsules to market in the third quarter of 2018, while simultaneously advancing the development of additional novel dosage forms of cannabinoids – in particular the sustained-release formulations in partnership with Canntab.
For 2018, Emblem’s focus on entering the adult-use market will target two distinct segments, health and wellness enthusiasts and casual users. At the same time, the Company will actively pursue supplier agreements with the highest growth provinces for Emblem’s adult-use products and brands.
The board of directors of the Company has approved the granting of 835,000 incentive stock options (the “Options”) to certain employees and officers of the Company. The Options will be issued on May 1, 2018, will have a five-year life and vest over three years as to one-third the number of Options granted per year. The exercise price will be equal to the closing price of the Company’s common shares on May 1, 2018.
The Company also announced that the previously disclosed investor relations and capital markets advisory agreement with Spinnaker Capital Markets Inc. will terminate on April 30, 2018 and that Ali Mahdavi has resigned as the Company’s Vice President Capital Markets.
Emblem Corp. is a fully integrated licensed producer and distributor of medical cannabis and cannabis derivatives in Canada under the ACMPR (Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations). Led by a team of cannabis experts and former health care and pharma executives, it has three distinct verticals – cannabis production, patient education centers, and pharmaceutical development. Emblem trades under the ticker symbol EMC on TSX Venture Exchange.
For further information contact:
Chief Financial Officer