Schwazze Announces First Quarter 2023 Financial Results
- Revenue Increases 26% to $40.0M Compared to $31.8M in Q1 2022
- Income From Operations Grew to $5.6M Compared to ($4.8M) in Q1 2022
- Adjusted EBITDA (1) of $14.5M, or 36% of Revenue, Compared to $7.9M, or 25% in Q1 2022
- Company Generates $2.7M in Free Cash Flow (2)
- Continues to Deepen Foothold in Colorado & New Mexico with Newly Signed Asset Purchases
- Conference Call & Webcast Scheduled for Today – 5:00 pm ET
DENVER, May 10, 2023 /PRNewswire/ – Medicine Man Technologies Inc. operating as Schwazze, (OTCQX: SHWZ) (NEO: SHWZ) (“Schwazze” or the “Company”), today announced financial results for the first quarter (“Q1 2023”).
Q1 2023 Financial Summary:
- Revenues of $40.0M, an increase of 26% compared to $31.8M in Q1 2022
- Gross Profit of $23.0M, an increase of 111% compared to $10.9M in Q1 2022
- Operating Income of $5.6M, an increase of $10.4M compared to ($4.8M) in Q1 2022
- Adjusted EBITDA (1) of $14.5M was 36.3% of revenue, compared to $7.9M and 24.7% of revenue for Q1 2022
- Net Income of $1.7M, an increase of $28.5M compared to net loss of ($26.8M) in Q1 2022
- Free Cash Flow (2) of $2.7M, a decrease of $3.0M compared to $5.7M in Q1 2022
- Retail sales of $35.8M, an increase of 35% compared to $26.5M in Q1 2022
Accomplishments for Q1 2023
During the first quarter of 2023, Schwazze continued its expansion plans into Colorado and New Mexico. In Colorado, the Company entered into definitive agreements to acquire two Smokey’s retail dispensaries in Fort Collins and Garden City, as well as Standing Akimbo, the largest medical dispensary in Colorado. In New Mexico, the Company entered into a definitive agreement to acquire 14 retail dispensaries, one manufacturing and one cultivation facility from Everest. These acquisitions continue to deepen Company’s foothold in Colorado and New Mexico with a total dispensary count to-date of 60, as well as three manufacturing facilities and six operating cultivation facilities.
Recent 2023 Developments
- In January, we announced new Chief Financial Officer, Forrest Hoffmaster
- In February, we announced new Chief Legal Officer, Christine Jones
- In March, we opened two new R.Greenleaf locations in New Mexico – Albuquerque and Carlsbad
- In March, we launched an enhanced customer ecommerce platform in New Mexico for the R.Greenleaf retail banner
- In April, we launched the expansion of our in-house product portfolio with a new pre-ground, ready-to-roll flower brand, EDW or Every Day Weed
- In May, we announced new Executive Vice President of Commercial Sales, Chris Driessen
- In May, we launched an enhanced custom e-commerce platform in Colorado for the Emerald Fields retail banner
To date, we have opened, acquired, or announced pending acquisitions of 60 dispensaries with six operating cultivations and three manufacturing facilities across Colorado and New Mexico.
Justin Dye, CEO of Schwazze
We believe our growing variety of retail brands resonate strongly with our cannabis customers, and the team is well-positioned to play offense as we continue to strengthen our position for shareholders.
“Schwazze continues to gain significant momentum in its performance year-over-year despite a continued challenging environment, particularly in Colorado,” said Nirup Krishnamurthy, President of Schwazze. “We are excited about the pending acquisitions in our portfolio and the forthcoming retail banners of Standing Akimbo and Everest. In addition, the expansion of our in-house product portfolio with the launch of our pre-ground, ready-to-roll flower brand, EDW, provides our consumers with more variety in product selection.
Q1 2023 Results of Operations
Consolidated First Quarter revenues of $40 million dollars increased $8.2 million dollars or 26% compared to $31.8 million dollars for the same quarter last year. Quarter over quarter revenues remain flat as is seasonally typical for the industry.
Income from operations was $5.6 million dollars and improved $10.4 million dollars over the ($4.8) million dollar loss from operations in the first quarter of 2022. Adjusted EBITDA for Q1 2023 was $14.5 million dollars or 36.3% of revenue compared to $7.9 million dollars or 24.7% of revenue for the same period last year. We ended the quarter with $35 million in cash.
Total cost of goods and services was $17.0 million dollars compared to $20.8 million for the same period last year, representing a $3.8 million dollar decrease or 18.6%. This was primarily due to overall cost improvements due to vertical integration in New Mexico.
As a result, gross profit increased to $23.0 million dollars or 58% of total revenue compared to $10.9 million dollars or 34% for the same quarter last year with quarter over quarter improvement as compared to $23 million or 57% of total revenue in Q4 2022.
Total Operating Expenses totaled $17.4 million dollars for Q1 2023 as compared to $15.7 million for Q1 2022, representing an increase of $1.7 million dollars driven by payroll tax refunds offset by intangible asset amortization related to non-cash purchase price accounting adjustments from 2022 acquisitions reflected in selling, general and administrative expenses.
Other income for Q1 2023 was $758 thousand dollars, compared to other expense of $20.7 million dollars for the same quarter last year. The year-over-year change in other income/expense was driven by the accounting revaluation of the derivative liability related to the convertible note.
As a result, Schwazze generated Net Income of $1.7 million dollars compared to a Net Loss of ($26.8) million dollars for Q1 2023.
Forrest Hoffmaster, CFO for Schwazze commented, “While weathering tough macro economic and industry specific conditions, our team continues to deliver disciplined improvements to the core business infrastructure with smart, accretive acquisitions within two highly competitively markets. We are pleased with our start to 2023, our ability to produce strong results, a desirable cash position, and free cash flow.”
(1) Adjusted EBITDA represents earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization, adjusted for other income, non-cash share-based compensation, one-time transaction related expenses, or other non-operating costs. The Company uses adjusted EBITDA as it believes it better explains the results of its core business.
(2) Free Cash Flow, a non-GAAP measure, represents cash flow from operations, adding back cash interest expense for the period, less capital expenditures for the period.
Webcast – Wednesday, May 10 – 5:00 pm ET
Investors and stakeholders may participate in the conference call by dialing 416-764-8650 or by dialing North American toll free 1-888-664-6383 or listen to the webcast from the Company’s website at https://ir.schwazze.com The webcast will be available on the Company’s website and on replay until May 17, 2023, and may be accessed by dialing 1-416-764-8677 or North American toll free 1-888-390-0541 / 592815 #.
Following their prepared remarks, Company management will answer investor questions. Investors may submit questions in advance or during the conference call itself through the weblink: https://app.webinar.net/x0q6rpnP84n This weblink has been posted to the Company’s website and will be archived on the website. All Company SEC filings can also be accessed on the Company website at https://ir.schwazze.com/sec-filings.
Schwazze (OTCQX: SHWZ) (NEO: SHWZ) is building a premier vertically integrated regional cannabis company with assets in Colorado and New Mexico and will continue to take its operating system to other states where it can develop a differentiated regional leadership position. Schwazze is the parent company of a portfolio of leading cannabis businesses and brands spanning seed to sale. The Company is committed to unlocking the full potential of the cannabis plant to improve the human condition, deriving its name from the pruning technique of a cannabis plant to enhance plant structure and promote healthy growth.
Since April 2020, Schwazze has acquired, opened, or announced the planned acquisition of 60 cannabis retail dispensaries (bannered as Star Buds, Emerald Fields, R. Greenleaf, Standing Akimbo, and Everest) as well as six operating cultivation facilities and three manufacturing plants across Colorado and New Mexico. In May 2021, Schwazze announced its Biosciences division, and in August 2021, it commenced home delivery services in Colorado.
Schwazze is anchored by a high-performance culture that combines customer-centric thinking and data science to test, measure, and drive decisions and outcomes. The Company’s leadership team has deep expertise in retailing, wholesaling, and building consumer brands at Fortune 500 companies as well as in the cannabis sector. Schwazze is passionate about making a difference in our communities, promoting diversity and inclusion, and doing its part to incorporate climate-conscious best practices.
Medicine Man Technologies, Inc. was Schwazze’s former operating trade name. The corporate entity continues to be named Medicine Man Technologies, Inc.