The Hash’s Max Savage Levenson catches up on cannabis genetics research with Dr. Reggie Gaudino, Ph.D, Director of Genetics from Steep Hill, at the cannabis industry’s first technology conference, the New West Summit in San Francisco.
- Potency and contamination was original focus of Steep Hill
- Expanded into genetic analysis with DNA sequencing and diagnostic tools
- Very little information about cannabis genetics due to prohibition
- Using genetic tools can help create better product
- Initial perceptions of Steep Hill efforts was negative
- Monsanto and Dow could make cannabis growers irrelevant
- Industry needs new strains with patents filed
- Right now, the industry is essentially open-source
- Breeders should be “breeding their ass off” but not releasing until the genetics are stabilized, upon which a patent should be filed
- Steep Hill hasn’t charged anyone to sequence DNA despite investing $1mm in equipment (just charging for testing services)
Listen to the interview: http://thehash.org/2015/12/mastering-cannabis-genetics-with-steep-hills-dr-reggie-gaudino/
Are you a cannabis industry thought leader and want to be heard? Let us know your story.