Visit the TILT Holdings Investor Dashboard and stay up to date with data-driven, fact based due diligence for active traders and investors.
TILT Holdings Reports Record Second Quarter 2021 Financial Results
- Record Q2 Revenue up 33% YoY to $48.5 Million
- Record Q2 Adjusted EBITDA up 2.7x to $6.5 Million
- Reiterates 2021 Guidance of Revenue Between $205 – $210 Million and Adjusted EBITDA Between $30 -$32 Million
PHOENIX, Aug. 24, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — TILT Holdings Inc. (“TILT” or the “Company”) (NEO:TILT) (OTCQX: TLLTF), a global provider of cannabis business solutions that include inhalation technologies, cultivation, manufacturing, processing, brand development and retail, is reporting its financial and operating results for the three-months and six-months ended June 30, 2021. All financial information is provided in U.S. dollars unless otherwise indicated.
We generated another quarter of record results by continuing to execute our B2B strategy and driving synergies across our business segments. Our ability to cross-sell and deepen relationships with our 700+ customer base is materializing in the numbers.
Gary Santo, CEO of TILT
In fact, at the end of last year, 20% of our revenue was generated by our customers leveraging services across our cannabis inhalation and accessory businesses. By the end of Q2, that number increased to over 30%, which tells us that our strategy is working.
“Earlier today we announced a historic partnership with the Shinnecock Indian Nation to develop vertical cannabis operations in New York, marking our entrance into what is projected to be one of the largest cannabis markets in the country. I am incredibly excited for both our teams as well as the economic opportunity this will create for the Nation—this is truly what an equitable partnership should look like.”
“We remain committed to delivering shareholder value through growth and profitability. We are on track to deliver strong organic results in 2021, and given our recently awarded provisional licenses in Massachusetts, our expanded canopy, new and expanded brand partnerships, and our entry into New York, 2022 is positioned to be an even stronger year for TILT.”
Q2 2021 Financial Summary (vs. Q2 2020, where applicable)
- Revenue increased 33% to $48.5 million driven by growth in both cannabis and inhalation and accessory revenue. Cannabis revenue increased 31% to $10.0 million and inhalation and accessory revenue increased 34% to $38.5 million.
- Gross profit before fair value adjustments increased 25% to $13.1 million or 27% of revenue, compared to $10.5 million or 28.9% of revenue. Gross margins were impacted by supply chain expenses related to freight costs for the Company’s inhalation and accessory business.
- Adjusted EBITDA was up 2.7x to $6.5 million compared to $2.4 million. As a percentage of revenue, Adjusted EBITDA increased 680 basis points to 13.5% compared to 6.7%.
- At June 30, 2021, cash and cash equivalents increased 29% to $9.6 million compared to $7.4 million at December 31, 2020.
Q2 2021 Operational Highlights
- TILT’s inhalation and accessory business generated record monthly sales in April.
- Generated record quarterly flower sales in Pennsylvania.
- Launched exclusive partnership with Old Pal to bring select products to Massachusetts.
- Expanded exclusive partnership with Airo Brands to bring select products to Pennsylvania.
- Secured local approval by the City Council of Brockton for adult use cannabis sales at the Company’s Brockton dispensary.
- Appointed Gary Santo to CEO; Mark Scatterday continues serving as Chairman of the Board.
Operational Highlights Subsequent to Quarter End
- Announced partnership with the Shinnecock Indian Nation to enter New York’s cannabis market.
- Received four new provisional adult-use licenses in Massachusetts and final medical dispensary license for the Company’s Brockton location.
- Expanded partnership with Old Pal to bring select products to market in Pennsylvania.
- Announced partnership with 1906 to launch various products in three key markets: Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Ohio.
- Commenced trading of TILT’s common shares on the more senior NEO Exchange in Canada.
- Entered into a new $10 million revolving credit facility that bears interest at Prime plus 3.5%.
- Deepened talent pool with several key new hires, including a new Chief Operating Officer, Head of Cannabis Operations and Head of Cultivation.
Earnings Call and Webcast
The Company will host a conference call today at 5:00 p.m. Eastern time to discuss its financial and operational results.
The live webcast may be accessed from the Events and Presentations menu in the Investor Relations section of the Company’s website as well as through this link. To access the conference call via telephone, please dial 1-877-705-6003. Please register at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start to download and install any necessary audio software.
A replay of the webcast will be available in the Past Events section of the Company’s Investor Relations website approximately 2 hours after the live event and will be archived for 30 days.
TILT helps cannabis businesses build brands. Through a portfolio of companies providing technology, hardware, cultivation and production, TILT services brands and cannabis retailers across 36 states in the U.S., as well as Canada, Israel, Mexico, South America and the European Union. TILT’s core businesses include Jupiter Research LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary and leader in the vaporization segment focused on hardware design, research, development and manufacturing; and cannabis operations, Commonwealth Alternative Care, Inc. in Massachusetts, Standard Farms LLC in Pennsylvania and Standard Farms Ohio, LLC in Ohio, and its partnership with the Shinnecock Indian Nation in New York. TILT is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona. For more information, visit www.tiltholdings.com.
Non-IFRS Financial and Performance Measures
In addition to providing financial measurements based on International Financial Reporting Standards (“IFRS”), the Company provides additional financial metrics that are not prepared in accordance with IFRS. Management uses non-IFRS financial measures, in addition to IFRS financial measures, to understand and compare operating results across accounting periods, for financial and operational decision making, for planning and forecasting purposes and to evaluate the Company’s financial performance. These non-IFRS financial measures are EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA. Management believes that these non-IFRS financial measures reflect the Company’s ongoing business in a manner that allows for meaningful comparisons and analysis of trends in the business, as they facilitate comparing financial results across accounting periods and to those of peer companies. Management also believes that these non-IFRS financial measures enable investors to evaluate the Company’s operating results and future prospects in the same manner as management. These non-IFRS financial measures may also exclude expenses and gains that may be unusual in nature, infrequent or not reflective of the Company’s ongoing operating results.
As there are no standardized methods of calculating these non-IFRS measures, the Company’s methods may differ from those used by others, and accordingly, the use of these measures may not be directly comparable to similarly titled measures used by others.
Accordingly, these non-IFRS measures are intended to provide additional information and should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for measures of performance prepared in accordance with IFRS.
EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA
EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA are financial measures that are not defined under IFRS. The Company uses these non-IFRS financial measures, and believes they enhance an investor’s understanding of the Company’s financial and operating performance from period to period, because they exclude certain material non-cash items and certain other adjustments management believes are not reflective of the Company’s ongoing operations and performance. The Company calculates EBITDA as net income (loss), plus (minus) income taxes (recovery), plus (minus) finance expense (income), plus depreciation and amortization expense. Adjusted EBITDA excludes certain one-time, non-cash or non-operating expenses, as determined by management, including stock compensation expense, business acquisition expense, debt issuance costs, severance, unrealized (gain) loss on changes in fair value of biological assets and fair value changes in biological assets included in inventory sold.
Reconciliations of Non-IFRS Financial and Performance Measures
Adjusted EBITDA is reconciled to Net Loss below as well as the section labelled “Reconciliation of Net Income (Loss) to Non-IFRS Measures” in the Management Discussion and Analysis of the Company for the three and six months ended on June 30, 2021, which is available on the Company’s SEDAR profile at www.sedar.com.
Selected Financial Results
For fact-based information on TILT Holdings, view the company’s sponsored Investor Dashboard.
Get ahead of the crowd by signing up for 420 Investor, the largest & most comprehensive premium subscription service for cannabis traders and investors since 2013.