WM Technology, Inc. Reports First Quarter 2023 Financial Results
Announces First Quarter 2023 Financial Results with Revenue of $48.0 million
Irvine, Calif. — May 9, 2023 — WM Technology, Inc. (“WM Technology” or the “Company”) (Nasdaq: MAPS), a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, today announced its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2023.
“We are pleased with our Q1 results as they positively reflect the strategic actions we have taken since November to improve our bottom line,” said Doug Francis, Executive Chair of WM Technology.
Our continued focus on our marketplace experience and commitment to delivering value to our clients is generating business stability despite end markets that remain challenged. While we still have work to do, our return to positive adjusted EBITDA and operating cash flows signal that our operational and financial position is as strong as it’s been in some time.
Doug Francis, Executive Chair of WM Technology
Lastly, I want to congratulate and thank the entire Weedmaps team for the hard work throughout this past 420 holiday. We saw our highest volume of orders placed on the platform, which I believe further cements how critical Weedmaps is to the success of our clients.
First Quarter 2023 Financial Highlights
- Revenue was $48.0 million as compared to $57.5 million in the first quarter of 2022 (“prior year period”).
- Average monthly paying clients¹ was 5,641, as compared to 5,026 from the prior year period.
- Average monthly revenue per paying client² was $2,837, as compared to $3,810 from the prior year period.
- Net loss was $4.0 million as compared to net loss of $31.2 million from the prior year period.
- Adjusted EBITDA³ was $7.1 million as compared to $(1.0) million from the prior year period.
- Basic and diluted net loss per share was $0.03 based on 92.3 million of Class A Common Stock weighted average shares outstanding.
- Total shares outstanding across Class A and Class V Common Stock were 148.1 million as of March 31, 2023.
- Cash totaled $25.9 million as of March 31, 2023, with no long-term debt.
Reconciliations of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures have been provided in the tables included in this release.
(1) Average monthly paying clients are defined as the average of the number of paying clients billed in a month across a particular period (and for which services were provided).
(2) Average monthly revenue per paying client is defined as the average monthly revenue for any particular period divided by the average monthly paying clients in the same respective period.
(3) For further information about how we calculate EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA as well as limitations of their use and a reconciliation of EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA to net (loss) income, see “Reconciliation of Net (Loss) Income to EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA” below.
April 20, 2023 (“420”) Highlights
- Over 30 in-market activations across 12 states supporting our clients surrounding 420 and driving Weedmaps awareness
- “20 Days of Deals” initiative which drove traffic to our platform while simultaneously elevating awareness and traffic to our retail and delivery partners
- Innovative partnership with Jack in the Box promoting the return of its Pineapple Express Shake across the
- New weekly record for number of online orders and deals claimed
Based on information available as of May 9, 2023, WM Technology is issuing guidance for the second quarter of 2023 as follows:
- Revenue is estimated to be consistent with the first quarter of 2023.
- Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA¹ is estimated to be approximately $4 million.
The guidance provided above is only an estimate of what we believe is realizable as of the date of this release. We are not readily able to provide a reconciliation of projected Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA to projected net income (loss) without unreasonable effort. This guidance assumes that no business acquisitions, investments, restructurings, or legal settlements are concluded in the period. Our results are based on assumptions that we believe to be reasonable as of this date, but may be materially affected by many factors, as discussed below in “Forward-Looking Statements.” Actual results may vary from the guidance and the variations may be material. We undertake no intent or obligation to publicly update or revise any of these projections, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
Investor Conference Call and Webcasts
The Company will host a conference call and webcast today, Tuesday, May 9, 2023, at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time) at https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/2eimzdir. A webcast replay will also be archived at ir.weedmaps.com.
The Company has used, and intends to continue to use, the investor relations portion of its website as a means of disclosing material non-public information and for complying with disclosure obligations under Regulation FD.
About WM Technology
Founded in 2008, WM Technology operates the leading online cannabis marketplace for consumers together with a comprehensive set of eCommerce and compliance software solutions for cannabis businesses, which are sold to retailers and brands in the U.S. state-legal and Canadian cannabis markets. The Company is driven by a passion for the plant, and is on a mission to champion the truth and stand with all who believe in open access to cannabis.
The Company’s technology addresses the challenges facing both consumers seeking to understand cannabis products and businesses who serve cannabis users in a legally compliant fashion. Over the past 14 years, the Weedmaps marketplace has become a premier destination for cannabis consumers to discover and browse information regarding cannabis and cannabis products, permitting product discovery and order-ahead for pickup or delivery by participating retailers. Weedmaps for Business is a set of eCommerce-enablement tools designed to help retailers and brands get the best out of the Weedmaps’ consumer experience, create labor efficiencies and manage compliance needs.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Our financial statements, including net loss, are prepared in accordance with principles generally accepted in the United States of America (“GAAP”).
To provide investors with additional information regarding our financial results, we have disclosed EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA, all of which are non-GAAP financial measures that we calculate as net loss before interest, taxes and depreciation and amortization expense in the case of EBITDA and further adjusted to exclude stock-based compensation, change in fair value of warrant liability, change in tax receivable agreement liability, transaction related bonuses, transaction costs, legal settlements and other legal costs, reduction in force and other non-cash, unusual and/or infrequent costs in the case of Adjusted EBITDA. Below we have provided a reconciliation of net (loss) income (the most directly comparable GAAP financial measure) to EBITDA; and from EBITDA to Adjusted EBITDA.
We present EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA because these metrics are a key measure used by our management to evaluate our operating performance, generate future operating plans and make strategic decisions regarding the allocation of investment capacity. Accordingly, we believe that EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA provide useful information to investors and others in understanding and evaluating our operating results in the same manner as our management.
Each of EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA has limitations as an analytical tool, and you should not consider any of these non-GAAP financial measures in isolation or as a substitute for analysis of our results as reported under GAAP. Some of these limitations are as follows:
- although depreciation and amortization are non-cash charges, the assets being depreciated and amortized may have to be replaced in the future, and EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA do not reflect cash capital expenditure requirements for such replacements or for new capital expenditure requirements;
- EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA do not reflect changes in, or cash requirements for, our working capital needs; and
- EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA do not reflect tax payments that may represent a reduction in cash available to us.
Because of these limitations, you should consider EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA alongside other financial performance measures, including net loss and our other GAAP results.
Definition of Key Operating and Financial Metrics
- Average Monthly Revenue Per Paying Client: Average monthly revenue per paying client measures how much clients, for the period of measurement, are willing to pay us for our subscription and additional offerings and the efficiency of the bid-auction process for our featured listings placements. We calculate this metric by dividing the average monthly revenue for any particular period by the average monthly number of paying clients in the same respective period. The calculation of monthly revenue includes revenue from any clients that cease to be paying clients during the applicable month.
- Average Monthly Paying Clients: We define average monthly paying clients as the monthly average of clients billed each month over a particular period (and for which services were provided).