Visit the Canopy Growth Corp Investor Dashboard and stay up to date with data-driven, fact based due diligence for active traders and investors.
Canopy Growth Reports Third Quarter Fiscal 2020 Financial Results
- Generated $124 million Net Revenue, up from $76 million in Q2 2020
- Excluding portfolio restructuring charges in Q2 2020, Net Revenue up 13%
- Achieved Gross Margin of 34%
- Total Operating Expenses down 14% versus the prior quarter
- Adjusted EBITDA loss decreases to $92 million
SMITHS FALLS, ON, Feb. 14, 2020 /PRNewswire/ – Canopy Growth Corporation (“Canopy Growth” or the “Company”) (TSX: WEED) (NYSE: CGC) today announced its financial results for the third quarter ended December 31, 2019. All financial information in this press release is reported in millions of Canadian dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
Third Quarter Fiscal 2020 Corporate Financial Highlights
- Revenues: Reported Net Revenues increased 62% over Q2 2020, or 13% excluding the impact of portfolio restructuring charges. Gross Recreational B2B revenue increased 8% over prior quarter due, in part, to over 140 stores becoming active in the quarter and higher sales of premium dried flower and pre-roll joints. Our acquired businesses including Storz & Bickel and This Works also performed well, contributing to organic growth this quarter.
- Gross margin: Gross margin before fair value impacts was 34%. Gross margin performance in quarter benefited from lower period costs due to higher facility utilization
- Operating expenses: Total operating expenses decreased 14% versus Q2 2020 primarily due to a $20 million reduction in G&A expenses and over $31 million lower stock-based compensation versus the prior quarter
- Adjusted EBITDA: Adjusted EBITDA loss of $92 million, a $64 million narrower loss versus Q2 2020 driven by higher sales, improved gross margins and lower operating expenses
- Cash Position: Gross cash balance was $2.3 billion, down from $2.7 billion in Q2 2020, reflecting the EBITDA loss, capital investments and M&A
Third Quarter Fiscal 2020 Business & Operational Highlights
- Maintained leading market share in retail, at an estimated 22%, of the Canadian recreation market as we saw a strong demand for both premium and value priced dried flower and pre-rolled joints
- Continued market share gains and increase in the number of patients, to over 76,700, in the Canadian medical cannabis market
- Named David Klein as new Chief Executive Officer
- Completed first shipments of cannabis-infused edible chocolates and JUJU Power 510 batteries in December 2019
- Storz & Bickel expanded product line with launch of Crafty+ vaporizer in November 2019
- Announced initial line of First & Free Hemp-derived CBD products and began sales online through www.firstandfree.com, one quarter ahead of Q4 2020 target
In Q3 we executed across Canada, in our international markets and in our strategic acquisitions to drive revenue growth. We have a lot of work to do. We are eager to capitalize on the opportunity to create an unassailable position through a tight focus on the consumer and on critical markets.
David Klein, CEO
“We delivered significant gross improvement in the third quarter driven by stronger revenues and higher capacity utilization. Actions taken earlier this year are expected to meaningfully reduce stock-based compensation in FY21, and we have started to implement tighter cost controls across the organization,” said Mike Lee, EVP & CFO. “We plan to take further steps to reduce our costs and right-size our business to ensure that we can generate a healthy margin profile and cash generation in the coming years.”
- Recreational B2B sales increased 8% over Q2 2020, due to over 140 stores becoming active in the quarter and higher sales of premium dried flower and pre-roll joints
- Recreational B2C sales increased 16% over prior quarter, due in part to an 11% increase in same store sales
- Medical sales increased 5% over the prior quarter primarily attributable to the broadening of our brand and product offerings, including the availability of products from additional CraftGrow partners, as well as an increase in number of customers to over 76,700.
- C3 revenue increased 5% over Q2 2020
- Germany cannabis sales higher than expected due to opportunistic sales into the German market to fill a supply gap that resulted from a regulatory enforced sales halt of cannabis products offered by another vendor
- Storz & Bickel vaporizer revenue increased 46% over Q2 2020 due to solid organic growth and seasonal sales
- This Works revenue increased 42% over prior quarter due to strong organic growth
Gross margin percentage, before fair value impacts in cost of sales, a non-IFRS measure, is a key operational metric that does not have any standardized meaning prescribed by IFRS and may not be comparable to similar measures presented by other companies. This measure is calculated as net revenue less inventory production costs expensed to cost of sales, divided by net revenue, and may be computed from the consolidated statements of operations presented within this news release.
Adjusted EBITDA, a non-IFRS measure, is a key operational metric that does not have any standardized meaning prescribed by IFRS and may not be comparable to similar measures presented by other companies. Adjusted EBITDA is calculated as earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization, share-based compensation expense, fair value changes and other non-cash items, and further adjusted to remove acquisition-related costs. The Company attributes Adjusted EBITDA to its operations and corporate overhead, strategic investments and business developments, and non-operating or under-utilized facilities. The Adjusted EBITDA reconciliation is presented within this news release and explained in Management’s Discussion & Analysis under “Adjusted EBITDA (Non-IFRS Measure)”, a copy of which will be filed on SEDAR.
Free Cash Flow, a non-IFRS measure, is a key operational metric that does not have any standardized meaning prescribed by IFRS and may not be comparable to similar measures presented by other companies. This measure is calculated as net cash provided by (used in) operating activities less purchases and deposits of property, plant and equipment.
Transition to U.S. GAAP Reporting
As part of our U.S. financial reporting requirements, Canopy Growth confirmed that, as of September 30, 2019, it no longer met the criteria for qualification as a foreign private issuer because (1) more than 50% of the outstanding voting securities are held by residents of the United States, and (2) the majority of Canopy Growth’s directors are United States citizens.
Therefore, as of April 1, 2020 Canopy Growth will be considered a United States domestic issuer and a large accelerated filer. As a result of this change, as of April 1, 2020, Canopy Growth will be required to prepare its consolidated financial statements, including the Company’s March 31, 2020 audited annual consolidated financial statements, in conformity with United States generally accounting principles, with such change being applied retrospectively. The extent of the impact of this change in accounting framework has not yet been quantified. Canopy Growth will also be required to provide an auditor attestation report under Section 404(b) of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
This press release is intended to be read in conjunction with the Company’s Unaudited Condensed Interim Consolidated Financial Statements (“Financial Statements) and Management Discussion & Analysis (“MD&A) for the three and nine months ended December 31, 2019, which will be filed on SEDAR (www.sedar.com) and will be available at www.canopygrowth.com. The basis of financial reporting in the Financial Statements and MD&A is in thousands of Canadian dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
Webcast and Conference Call Information
The Company will host a conference call and audio webcast with David Klein, CEO and Mike Lee, CFO at 10:00 AM Eastern Time on February 14, 2020.
A live audio webcast will be available at:
A replay of the call will be accessible by webcast, until 11:59 PM ET on May 14, 2020, at
About Canopy Growth Corporation
Canopy Growth (TSX:WEED,NYSE:CGC) is a world-leading diversified cannabis, hemp and cannabis device company, offering distinct brands and curated cannabis varieties in dried, oil and Softgel capsule forms, as well as medical devices through the Company’s subsidiary, Storz & Bickel GMbH & Co. KG. From product and process innovation to market execution, Canopy Growth is driven by a passion for leadership and a commitment to building a world-class cannabis company one product, site and country at a time. The Company has operations in over a dozen countries across five continents.
The Company’s medical division, Spectrum Therapeutics is proudly dedicated to educating healthcare practitioners, conducting robust clinical research, and furthering the public’s understanding of cannabis, and has devoted millions of dollars toward cutting edge, commercializable research and IP development. Spectrum Therapeutics sells a range of full-spectrum products using its colour-coded classification Spectrum system as well as single cannabinoid Dronabinol under the brand Bionorica Ethics.
The Company operates retail stores across Canada under its award-winning Tweed and Tokyo Smoke banners. Tweed is a globally recognized cannabis brand which has built a large and loyal following by focusing on quality products and meaningful customer relationships.
From our historic public listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange to our continued international expansion, pride in advancing shareholder value through leadership is engrained in all we do at Canopy Growth. Canopy Growth has established partnerships with leading sector names including cannabis icons Snoop Dogg and Seth Rogen, breeding legends DNA Genetics and Green House Seeds, and Fortune 500 alcohol leader Constellation Brands, to name but a few. Canopy Growth operates eleven licensed cannabis production sites with over 5.2 million square feet of production capacity, including over one million square feet of GMP certified production space. For more information visit www.canopygrowth.com
For fact-based information on Canopy Growth Corp, view the company’s sponsored Investor Dashboard.
Get ahead of the crowd by signing up for 420 Investor, the largest & most comprehensive premium subscription service for cannabis traders and investors since 2013.