Canopy Growth Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2023 Financial Results
- Business transformation and cost reduction actions initiated in FY2023 expected to drive overall cost reduction of $240-$310 million by the end of FY2024
- Actions to strengthen balance sheet have reduced overall debt position by approximately $500 million from Q2 FY2023 to quarter-to-date in Q1 FY2024 and are anticipated to generate proceeds of up to $150 million from facility divestitures by the end of Q2 FY2024
- Revised proxy statement filed with modifications to the structure of Canopy USA in order to maintain compliance with NASDAQ listing requirements while preserving strategic benefits
SMITHS FALLS, ON, June 22, 2023 /PRNewswire/ – Canopy Growth Corporation (“Canopy Growth” or the “Company”) (TSX: WEED) (NASDAQ: CGC) today announced its financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended March 31, 2023 and the filing of an annual report on Form 10-K, including the audited consolidated financial statements for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2023 and the unqualified report thereon of the Company’s independent registered public accounting firm. All financial information in this press release is reported in Canadian dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
- In FY2023, the Company announced a series of comprehensive steps to align its Canadian cannabis operations and resources including: (i) the divestiture of the Company’s national cannabis retail operations (completed in Q3 FY2023); (ii) ceasing the sourcing of cannabis flower from the Mirabel, Quebec facility (completed in Q4 FY2023); (iii) exiting cannabis flower cultivation in the Smiths Falls, Ontario facility (expected to be completed in Q1 FY2024); (iv) consolidating cultivation at its existing facilities in Kincardine, Ontario and Kelowna, British Columbia; and (v) moving to an adaptive third-party sourcing model for all cannabis beverages, edibles, vapes, and extracts which will enable the Company to select and bring to market exciting and exclusive formats without the required investment in research and development and production footprint.
- Restructuring steps undertaken in FY2023 reduced Selling, General & Administrative (“SG&A”) expenses and Cost of Goods Sold (“COGS”) by a combined $125 million through the end of FY2023.
- The Company’s FY2023 net revenue decreased 21% year-over year to $403 million. When adjusting for the impact of the divestiture of C3 in Q4 FY2022 and our Canadian retail business in Q3 FY2023, revenues decreased 11% in FY2023 as compared to FY2022.
- Canadian medical cannabis revenue in FY2023 increased 6% year-over-year and Q4 FY2023 increased 8% year-over-year in a declining market.
- Enhanced flower quality drove resurgence of the Company’s mainstream Tweed brand to #9 spot in the Canadian adult-use market in Q4 FY2023 up from #16 in prior year¹.
- Subsequent to quarter-end, the Company entered into an agreement with Indiva Limited that gives Canopy Growth control of all distribution, marketing, and sales of industry leading Wana branded products in Canada. The addition of Wana branded gummies is expected to drive Adjusted EBITDA improvement for the Company’s Canadian cannabis business and advance its path to leadership in the edibles category in Canada.
Fiscal 2023 was a transformational year for Canopy Growth as we began to implement a comprehensive strategy to accelerate our path to profitability, and position our business to realize the tremendous opportunities ahead. Our actions are already yielding results and we expect to realize significant benefits from our cost reduction program in Fiscal 2024.
David Klein, Chief Executive Officer
Paired with continued progress in our Canopy USA strategy which enables a fast start, the Company is well positioned as it strives towards its goal of long-term North American cannabis leadership.
To access the entire press release, please click here.