Tilray, Inc. Reports First Quarter Fiscal Year 2022 Financial Results
- Net Revenue and Gross Profit Increased 43% and 46%, Respectively, for Largest Global Cannabis Cultivator
- 10th Consecutive Quarter of Positive Adjusted EBITDA
- $55 Million in Cost-Savings Achieved On a Run-Rate Basis To Date; On-track for at Least $80 Million in Cost-Savings from Aphria and Tilray Synergies
- #1 Leading Market Share in Canada1 with Comprehensive Portfolio of Medical and Adult-Use Cannabis Brands, International Market Leader and #1 in Germany2 with Medical Cannabis Extracts
NEW YORK & LEAMINGTON, Ontario-October 07, 2021-(BUSINESS WIRE)–Tilray, Inc. (“Tilray” or the “Company”) (Nasdaq: TLRY; TSX: TLRY), a leading global cannabis-lifestyle and consumer packaged goods company, today reported financial results for the first fiscal quarter ended August 31, 2021. All financial information in this press release is reported in U.S. dollars, unless otherwise indicated, and presented in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the U.S. (“GAAP”).
Tilray’s first quarter 2022 results affirm that, amid the paradigm shift towards global cannabis legalization, we are unquestionably executing against two key objectives. The first is maximizing near-term profitability through leadership in both higher-margin international medical markets and in Canada, complemented by incremental growth at SweetWater and Manitoba Harvest in the U.S.
Irwin D. Simon, Tilray’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
These efforts are augmented by the cost benefits of our increased scale that we are realizing through our integration process. The tangible results include our tenth consecutive quarter of positive adjusted EBITDA and meaningful net revenue growth despite continued impacts from COVID-19 in Canada as retail cannabis stores only began opening in mid-June.
Mr. Simon continued, “The second objective is to fully realize the promise and potential of Tilray by capitalizing on the nearly $200 billion global cannabis market opportunity. We believe we are ideally-positioned to succeed due to our global consumer-packaged goods expertise and scale, our diverse portfolio of brands, our reputation as a trusted supplier of high-quality cannabis, battle-tested leadership and a relentless focus on driving sustainable shareholder value. We look forward to accelerating our momentum as we build the leading CPG business in the global cannabis industry.”
Financial Highlights – First Quarter Fiscal 2022
- Net revenue increased 43% to $168 million during the first quarter from $117 million in the prior year quarter. The increase was driven by 38% growth in net cannabis revenue to $70 million, net beverage alcohol revenue of $15 million following the SweetWater acquisition on November 25, 2020, and wellness revenue of $15 million from Manitoba Harvest.
- Maintained #1 market share in Canada3 with leading portfolio of comprehensive medical cannabis and adult-use brands, including top position in cannabis flower and pre-rolls; five Tilray brands rank in top five brands across all adult-use product categories.
- International market leader and #1 in Germany4 with medical cannabis extracts.
- Net loss of $34.6 million during the first quarter compared to net loss of $21.7 million in the prior year quarter.
- Adjusted EBITDA of $12.7 million in the first quarter 2022, 58% growth compared to the prior year quarter, and the tenth consecutive quarter of positive Adjusted EBITDA. If Adjusted EBITDA were normalized for Aphria’s production costs, metric would have been closer to $17 million.
- Gross profit increased 46% to $51 million from $35 million in the prior year quarter.
- Adjusted gross margin in the cannabis segment has remained strong at 43%.
- Cost-saving synergies of $55 million achieved on a run-rate basis to date, with actual cash-savings close to $20 million. On-track for at least $80 million in cost-savings from Aphria and Tilray business combination synergies.
Strong First Quarter Momentum Across Segments
- On August 19, 2021, Tilray completed the acquisition of amended convertible notes in MedMen, a premier retailer in the $80 billion U.S. cannabis market – a potentially transformative step towards Tilray’s objective of leading the U.S. market when legalization allows.
- On August 17, 2021, Tilray launched medical cannabis edibles in Canada.
- On July 19, 2021, Tilray’s wholly owned subsidiary, SweetWater Brewing Company, announced the launch of 420 Imperial IPA, the first line extension of its flagship 420 brand.
- On July 12, 2021, SweetWater announced its West Coast expansion including a new Colorado Brewery and the opening of SweetWater Mountain Taphouse at Denver International Airport.
- On July 7, 2021, Tilray announced the completion and shipment of the first successful EU GMP-certified medical cannabis harvest grown in Germany for German distribution.
- On June 30, 2021, Tilray announced the launch of “Broken Coast BC Lager” – the first cross-brand product collaboration between Canadian craft-cannabis brand Broken Coast and SweetWater.
- On June 29, 2021, Tilray launched a new medical cannabis brand in Canada, Symbios, the inaugural brand developed to offer patients a broader spectrum of medical cannabis formats and cannabinoid ratios at a better price point.
- On June 25, 2021, Tilray’s leading Canadian cannabis brand, RIFF, launched new multi-pack of cannabis pre-rolls.
Ongoing Global Growth and Opportunity
The confluence of global cannabis legalization and the global economy’s emergence from COVID-19 lockdowns signal a period of enormous potential for Tilray – a leading cannabis company with the scale, reach and organic growth and M&A firepower to take full advantage of the massive global opportunity in cannabis. The Company’s business planning and integration are built around four key competitive differentiators:
- The industry’s broadest geographic footprint and operational scale – Tilray’s unparalleled and growing presence positions the Company to lead the global cannabis market including Europe, Latin America and Asia. As the largest cannabis cultivator in the world, Tilray remains to be one of the few companies with the capabilities to consistently supply high-quality cannabis to the global cannabis market.
- Leading market share in Canada, with a comprehensive portfolio of product offerings and carefully curated brands – Tilray plans to continue growing and strengthening its position as the #1 Canadian LP in total sales on a consolidated basis and to leverage its position, brands and new product innovation to expand its current cannabis retail market share in Canada of approximately 16% to its goal of 30% share by the end of fiscal year 2024.
- Tremendous international growth opportunities from a strong base – The European Union, which has nearly twice the population of the U.S. and where Tilray already has a very meaningful presence, represents a powerful growth market, and could potentially be a $1 billion business for the Company. With its operational and regulatory strengths, Tilray continues to unlock new opportunities across global geographies at a faster pace than competitors based on leadership, partnerships and operational scale.
- A leading U.S. CPG platform to be immediately leveraged for cannabis products upon federal legalization – In the U.S., Tilray has a strong consumer packaged goods presence and infrastructure with two strategic pillars: SweetWater, the 11th largest craft brewer in the nation5 and leading lifestyle brand, and Manitoba Harvest, a pioneer in hemp, CBD and wellness products, with access to 17,000 stores in North America. Further, the investment the Company announced in August in the outstanding senior secured convertible notes of MedMen Enterprises Inc. (CSE: MMEN) (OTCQX: MMNFF), is a critical step towards delivering on its objective of leading the U.S. cannabis market upon federal legalization.
Tilray will host a conference call to discuss these results today at 8:30 a.m. ET. Investors interested in participating in the live call can dial (877) 407-0792 from Canada and the U.S. or (201) 689-8263 from international locations.
There will also be a simultaneous, live webcast available on the Investors section of the Company’s website at www.tilray.com. The webcast will be archived after the conference call.
Tilray, Inc. (Nasdaq: TLRY; TSX: TLRY), is a leading global cannabis-lifestyle and consumer packaged goods company with operations in Canada, the United States, Europe, Australia, and Latin America that is changing people’s lives for the better – one person at a time – by inspiring and empowering the worldwide community to live their very best life by providing them with products that meet the needs of their mind, body, and soul and invoke a sense of wellbeing. Tilray’s mission is to be the trusted partner for its patients and consumers by providing them with a cultivated experience and health and wellbeing through high-quality, differentiated brands and innovative products. A pioneer in cannabis research, cultivation, and distribution, Tilray’s unprecedented production platform supports over 20 brands in over 20 countries, including comprehensive cannabis offerings, hemp-based foods, and alcoholic beverages.
For more information on how we open a world of wellbeing, visit www.Tilray.com.
Use of Non-U.S. GAAP Financial Measures
This press release and the accompanying tables include non-GAAP financial measures, including adjusted gross margin, Adjusted EBITDA and adjusted free cash flow. Management believes that the non-GAAP financial measures presented provide useful additional information to investors about current trends in the Company’s operations and are useful for period-over-period comparisons of operations. These non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for the comparable GAAP measures. In addition, these non-GAAP measures may not be the same as similar measures provided by other companies due to potential differences in methods of calculation and items being excluded. They should be read only in connection with the Company’s Consolidated Statements of Operations and Cash Flows presented in accordance with GAAP.
Adjusted EBITDA is calculated as net income (loss) before finance expense, net; non-operating expense (income), net; amortization; stock-based compensation; facility start-up and closure costs; inventory valuation adjustment; lease expense; and transaction costs. A reconciliation of Adjusted EBITDA to net loss, the most directly comparable GAAP measure, has been provided in the financial statement tables included below in this press release. Gross margin, excluding inventory valuation adjustments, is calculated as revenue less cost of sales adjusted to add back inventory valuation adjustments and amortization of inventory step-up, divided by revenue. A reconciliation of Gross margin, excluding inventory valuation adjustments, to gross margin, the most directly comparable GAAP measure, has been provided in the financial statement tables included below in this press release. Free cash flow is comprised of two GAAP measures deducted from each other which are net cash flow provided by (used in) operating activities less investments in capital and intangible assets. Adjusted free cash flow removes the cash impact of acquisitions from free cash flow. A reconciliation of net cash flow provided by (used in) operating activities to free cash flow and to adjusted cash flows, the most directly comparable GAAP measure, has been provided in the financial statement tables included below in this press release.
Consolidated Statements of Financial Position
1 Based on HiFyre data for the quarter June – August 2021.
2 Insight Health NPI: Panel data of 5,500 pharmacies (29% coverage).
3 Based on HiFyre retail data.
4 Insight Health NPI: Panel data of 5,500 pharmacies (29% coverage)
5 The Brewers Association Top 50 Brewing Companies by Sales Volume Report for 2020.
Get ahead of the crowd by signing up for 420 Investor, the largest & most comprehensive premium subscription service for cannabis traders and investors since 2013.