Tilray Brands’ First Quarter Fiscal Year 2023 Performance Affirms Global Cannabis Leadership
- Reported Net Revenue at $153.2 Million; On a Constant Currency Basis, Net Revenue Remained Strong at $166.5 Million
- Cannabis Gross Margin Increased to 51% from 43% in the Prior Year Quarter
- Delivered $108 Million in Annualized Cash Savings to Date, Expects to Deliver $130 Million Across Corporate Optimization Plans
- Second Highest Adjusted EBITDA in Company’s History Marking the 14th Consecutive Quarter of Positive Adjusted EBITDA
- Strong Balance Sheet with ~$500 Million in Cash
- Company Reconfirms Guidance to Generate $70-$80 Million of Adjusted EBITDA and be Free-Cash Flow Positive in Its Operating Business Units this Fiscal Year
- Tilray Brands Maintains #1 Cannabis Market Share in Canada and Germany
LEAMINGTON, Ontario and NEW YORK, Oct. 07, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Tilray Brands, Inc. (“Tilray” or the “Company”) (Nasdaq: TLRY; TSX: TLRY), a leading global cannabis-lifestyle and consumer packaged goods company inspiring and empowering the worldwide community to live their very best life, today reported financial results for the first fiscal quarter ended August 31, 2022. All financial information in this press release is reported in U.S. dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
Financial Highlights – First Quarter Fiscal 2023
- Reported net revenue was $153.2 million. On a constant currency basis, net revenue remained strong at $166.5 million for the quarter.
- Maintained #1 position in Canada with 8.5% cannabis market share, driven by Tilray’s comprehensive portfolio of adult-use brands.
- International cannabis revenue was $10.4 million. On a constant currency basis, international cannabis revenue was $11.9 million.
- Achieved $108 million in annualized cash cost-savings since the closing of the Tilray – Aphria transaction in May 2021, up from $85 million as of May 31, 2022.
- Net loss was $66 million. Adjusted EBITDA of $13.5 million, marking the 14th consecutive quarter of positive adjusted EBITDA and second highest achieved in the Company’s history.
Tilray Brands’ top and bottom-line results during the first quarter reflect successful realignment of the business to maximize revenue and market share gains across core business segments and geographies.
Irwin D. Simon, Tilray’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Most notably, we are now the leader in net cannabis revenue worldwide, highlighted by medical cannabis leadership globally and adult-use cannabis market share primacy in Canada. These achievements affirm that, amid market disruption and macroeconomic challenges, we have leveraged our scale, marketing acumen and CPG expertise to deliver strong – and sustainable – top line growth.
He continued, “We have also optimized our performance through an ambitious and expanded cost savings across the platform. Through the end of the first quarter, we have realized $95 million of our revised and increased $100 million goal of annualized cost savings. In addition, we realized an additional $13 million of cost savings from our recently launched $30 million cost optimization plan for our existing cannabis business. In aggregate, we expect to remove $130 million of costs from the business. We also plan to realize an additional $40 million in revenue and interest payments from the strategic HEXO transaction. These initiatives, combined with our market share and revenue gains, should position Tilray Brands extraordinarily well for the future, allowing us to reconfirm our guidance of $70 – $80 million of adjusted EBITDA and be free cash flow positive.”
Leading Position in Global Cannabis Markets
#1 in Global Cannabis Revenue – Excluding the U.S., Tilray Brands now has the leading cannabis revenue in federally legal markets across the global cannabis industry – uniquely enviable positioning as legal cannabis continues to take hold globally.
#1 Market Position in Canada and Strategic Initiatives Underway to Accelerate Growth – Tilray Brands has implemented strategic price adjustments, expanded distribution through its coast-to-coast agreements with Rose Life Sciences and Great North Distributors, and accelerated product innovation.
Strategic Expansion Across Europe and Leading Market Share in Germany – Germany is poised to lead the European cannabis market and Tilray Medical already leads in medical cannabis within Germany with market share of approximately 20%1 with whole flower, extracts and Dronabinol products. Based on Tilray’s unparalleled production capability and investments in brands and people, the Company is positioned exceptionally well for adult-use cannabis legalization. Tilray’s sales arrangements through major distribution channels in Germany, the UK, and other key markets, coupled with strong relationships with local governments and patient trust, helps ensure the infrastructure and platform to drive accelerated growth across Europe.
A Leading U.S. CPG and Craft-Beverage Portfolio Provides Growth Platform – In the U.S., Tilray’s businesses include SweetWater Brewing Company, the 10th largest craft brewer in the nation and leading lifestyle brand, Breckenridge Distillery, and Manitoba Harvest, a pioneer in hemp, CBD, and wellness products. The Company is focused on driving revenue gains across each of these businesses, which will ultimately create a strong channel for additional revenue in adult-use cannabis, pending federal legalization.
Strategic Growth Actions
- On October 5, 2022 – Broken Coast Ranks #1 at the Budtender’s Association Collector’s Cup
- On October 4, 2022 – Tilray Medical Relaunches Cannabis Oral Solution Across Ireland
- On September 28, 2022 – SweetWater Brewing Company Unveils New Fall Craft-Beer Releases
- On September 22, 2022 – Tilray Medical Receives Approval to Extend Market Authorization in Italy
- On September 15, 2022 – RIFF Cannabis Brand Launches New ‘Drumsticks’ Product
- On September 8, 2022 – Breckenridge Distillery Announces Nationwide Alignment and Renewed Distribution Agreement with Republic National Distributing Company
- On September 1, 2022 – Good Supply Launches New High-Potency Product Drop and Unveils Exclusive Orange Frost Live Resin
- On August 26, 2022 – Tilray Medical Launches New Products and ‘CannaPoints’ Program to Support Patients Across Canada
- On August 23, 2022 – Tilray Medical Receives Verification from the Natural Health Science Foundation in Australia and New Zealand
- On August 17, 2022 – Tilray Medical Bolsters Market Leading Position in Europe with Market Authorization in Poland
- On August 4, 2022 – Breckenridge Distillery and Denver Broncos Release Limited-Edition Mile High Bourbon Blends
- On August 3, 2022 – Tilray Wellness Announces U.S. Distribution Agreement with Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits for CBD Beverages
- On July 19, 2022 – Tilray Medical Launches Cannabis Education Platform ‘WeCare-MedicalCannabis’ Across Europe
- On July 14, 2022 – Tilray Brands’ Potently Canadian Cannabis Brand, CANACA Joins this Year’s Calgary Stampede and Releases ‘Wild West’ Product Lineup
- On July 12, 2022 – Tilray Brands Announces Closing of Transaction with HEXO, Laying Groundwork for the Next Evolution of Canadian Cannabis
- On July 6, 2022 – Good Supply Brand Expands its Cannabis Portfolio in Québec
- On June 29, 2022 – Tilray Medical Expands Portfolio of Medical Cannabis Products in the UK
- On June 22, 2022 – Tilray Medical Welcomes Government of Luxembourg Delegation Visit to European Campus in Portugal
- On June 16, 2022 – Broken Coast Cannabis Launches Full Spectrum ‘woah’
- On June 14, 2022 – Tilray Brands Announces Enhancements to Accretive Strategic Transaction with HEXO
- On June 7, 2022 – Tilray Medical Launches Sleep-Oriented CBN Night Oil for Medical Cannabis Patients in Canada
Live Conference Call and Audio Webcast
Tilray Brands will host a webcast to discuss these results today at 8:30 a.m. ET. Investors may join the live webcast available on the Investors section of the Company’s website at www.tilray.com. The webcast will also be archived after the call concludes.
About Tilray Brands
Tilray Brands, Inc. (Nasdaq: TLRY; TSX: TLRY), is a leading global cannabis-lifestyle and consumer packaged goods company with operations in Canada, the United States, Europe, Australia, and Latin America that is changing people’s lives for the better – one person at a time. Tilray Brands delivers on this mission by inspiring and empowering the worldwide community to live their very best life, enhanced by moments of connection and wellbeing. Patients and consumers trust Tilray Brands to be the most responsible, trusted and market leading cannabis consumer products company in the world with a portfolio of innovative, high-quality, and beloved brands that address the needs of the consumers, customers, and patients we serve. A pioneer in cannabis research, cultivation, and distribution, Tilray Brands’ unprecedented production platform supports over 20 brands in over 20 countries, including comprehensive cannabis offerings, hemp-based foods, and craft beverages.
For more information on Tilray Brands, visit www.Tilray.com and follow @Tilray
Use of Non-U.S. GAAP Financial Measures
This press release and the accompanying tables include non-GAAP financial measures, including adjusted gross margin, Adjusted EBITDA, and free cash flow. Management believes that the non-GAAP financial measures presented provide useful additional information to investors about current trends in the Company’s operations and are useful for period-over-period comparisons of operations. These non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for the comparable GAAP measures. In addition, these non-GAAP measures may not be the same as similar measures provided by other companies due to potential differences in methods of calculation and items being excluded. They should be read only in connection with the Company’s Consolidated Statements of Operations and Cash Flows presented in accordance with GAAP.
Certain forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures included in this press release are not reconciled to the comparable forward-looking GAAP financial measures. The Company is not able to reconcile these forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable forward-looking GAAP financial measures without unreasonable efforts because the Company is unable to predict with a reasonable degree of certainty the type and extent of certain items that would be expected to impact GAAP measures but would not impact the non-GAAP measures. Such items may include litigation and related expenses, transaction costs, impairments, foreign exchange movements and other items. The unavailable information could have a significant impact on the Company’s GAAP financial results.
The Company believes presenting net sales at constant currency provides useful information to investors because it provides transparency to underlying performance in the Company’s consolidated net sales by excluding the effect that foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations have on period-to-period comparability given the volatility in foreign currency exchange markets. To present this information for historical periods, current period net sales for entities reporting in currencies other than the U.S. dollar are translated into U.S. dollars at the average monthly exchange rates in effect during the corresponding period of the prior fiscal year, rather than at the actual average monthly exchange rate in effect during the current period of the current fiscal year. As a result, the foreign currency impact is equal to the current year results in local currencies multiplied by the change in average foreign currency exchange rate between the current fiscal period and the corresponding period of the prior fiscal year.
Adjusted EBITDA is calculated as net income (loss) before income tax expense (recovery); interest expense, net; non-operating income (expense), net; amortization; stock-based compensation; change in fair value of contingent consideration; purchase price accounting step-up; facility start-up and closure costs; lease expense; litigation costs; and transaction costs. A reconciliation of Adjusted EBITDA to net loss, the most directly comparable GAAP measure, has been provided in the financial statement tables included below in this press release. Gross margin, excluding inventory valuation adjustments, is calculated as revenue less cost of sales adjusted to add back inventory valuation adjustments and amortization of inventory step-up, divided by revenue. A reconciliation of Gross margin, excluding inventory valuation adjustments, to gross margin, the most directly comparable GAAP measure, has been provided in the financial statement tables included below in this press release. Free cash flow is comprised of two GAAP measures deducted from each other which are net cash flow provided by (used in) operating activities less investments in capital and intangible assets. A reconciliation of net cash flow provided by (used in) operating activities to free cash flow, the most directly comparable GAAP measure, has been provided in the financial statement tables included below in this press release.
1 Insight Health Sales Data