You’re reading a copy of this week’s edition of the New Cannabis Ventures weekly newsletter, which we have been publishing since October 2015. The newsletter includes unique insight to help our readers stay ahead of the curve as well as links to the week’s most important news.
You probably wouldn’t believe it if you looked at your portfolio, but the cannabis market has rallied four straight weeks now, with the New Cannabis Ventures Global Cannabis Stock Index increasing 10.5% since July 16th:
While the index has certainly rallied, most stocks have declined, as the market is experiencing a bout of bad breadth. Quite simply, the extremely strong performance of just a few stocks is masking what has been continued weakness.
Over the past four weeks, two names in the index have increased more than 100%, including two NASDAQ-listed IPOs from 2021, Flora Growth (+441%) and Agrify (+113%). These outsized gains account for more than the entire increase in the index.
The index, which was rebalanced at the end of Q2, has 44 members that were equally weighted at the time. While the average return since then has been -2.1%, the median return has been a loss of 14.8%. In other words, the typical stock has underperformed the index by almost 13%. Popular ETFs MJ and MSOS have declined 17.3% and 12.6%, respectively, so far in Q3, reinforcing how challenging the market has actually been.
Among the 44 index members, there are six stocks that have produced double digit gains thus far in Q3, including Flora Growth (362%), Agrify (143%), urban-gro (27%), Innovative Industrial Properties (22%), Clever Leaves (22%) and The Valens Company (10%). At the same time, 17 companies have declined by more than 20%. In the table below, it’s clear that the weakest stocks are diverse in nature in terms of their U.S. listing and their industry focus:
Over the past eight years of managing the index, we don’t recall ever seeing such a divergence between the index return and the typical return of cannabis stocks. We don’t believe there are any conclusions to be drawn from this extremely narrow rally over the past four weeks, but we are glad to see at least some cannabis stocks are rallying. We wanted to make sure our readers understood this dynamic, as the index return has been at odds with the returns that most investors have experienced thus far in Q3.
In the weeks ahead, it’s very possible that a stock like Flora Growth, which tanked after its IPO and lost over 40% of its value before soaring over 500% off the low, could reverse some of its gains, similar to what happened with index member India Globalization in July. The index, which was equal-weighted at the end of June, is now heavily weighted to Flora Growth after its rise, and any decline or further increase will have a relatively large impact on the overall index return. As of Friday, the stock represented 10.7% of the index.
For several years, operations-focused MSO Body and Mind has developed proprietary strains that have the perfect balance of body and mind benefits. It grows in small batches, without the use of synthetic pesticides, all with a goal of continuing to create award-winning products that resonate with cannabis consumers. The company has recently arranged a debt facility to further fund its growth initiatives. After winning two Chicago retail dispensary licenses with partners, the company will be entering its fifth state of operations.
Get up to speed by visiting the Body and Mind Investor Dashboard that we maintain on their behalf as a client of New Cannabis Ventures. Click the blue Follow Company button in order to stay up to date with their progress.
New Cannabis Ventures publishes curated articles as well as exclusive news. Here is some of the most interesting business content from this week:
- Acreage Holdings Q2 Revenue Increases 63% to $44.2 Million
- Ascend Wellness Boosts Outlook After Q2 Net Revenue Increases 228% to $83.4 Million
- Cannabis Information Provider Leafly to Merge with SPAC
- Exclusive: Cannabis Sales Slowed Ahead of the Summer
- Charlotte’s Web Q2 Revenue Increases 11% to $24.2 Million
- Columbia Care Q2 Revenue Increases 260% to $102.4 Million
- Cresco Labs Q2 Revenue Increases 123% to $210 Million
- Curaleaf Q2 Revenue Increases 166% to $312 Million
- Exclusive: Glass House Brands Looks to Drive Growth and Efficiency in California Following Its Public Debut
- Greenlane Raises $32 Million Selling Units at $3.16
- GrowGeneration Boosts Outlook After Q2 Revenue Increases 190% to $126 Million
- Harvest Health and Recreation Q2 Revenue Increases 84% to $102.5 Million
- Hydrofarm Q2 Revenue Increases 47% to $134 Million
- iAnthus Q2 Revenue Increases 57% to $54 Million
- Exclusive: Michigan Cannabis Sales Increase 56% in July to Record $171 Million
- Nova Cannabis Q2 Sales Increase 107% to C$29.9 Million
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Cannabis Investment Vehicle Takes 42% Stake in RIV Capital for $150 Million
- Exclusive: This Cannabis Entrepreneur With 4 Exits Under His Belt Is Now Focused on the California Market
- Trulieve Q2 Revenue Increases 78% to $215 Million
- Verano Holdings $199 Million Q2 Revenue Increases 39% Sequentially on a Pro Forma Basis
- Village Farms Q2 Cannabis Revenue Increases 41% Sequentially to $24.8 Million
- Weedmaps Parent Q2 Revenue Increases 21% to $47 Million
To get real-time updates download our free mobile app for Android or Apple devices, like our Facebook page, or follow Alan on Twitter. Share and discover industry news with like-minded people on the largest cannabis investor and entrepreneur group on LinkedIn.
Get ahead of the crowd! If you are a cannabis investor and find value in our Sunday newsletters, subscribe to 420 Investor, Alan’s comprehensive stock due diligence platform since 2013. Gain immediate access to real-time and in-depth information and market intelligence about the publicly traded cannabis sector, including daily videos, weekly chats, model portfolios, a community forum and much more.
Use the suite of professionally managed NCV Cannabis Stock Indices to monitor the performance of publicly-traded cannabis companies within the day or over longer time-frames. In addition to the comprehensive Global Cannabis Stock Index, we offer a family of indices to track Canadian licensed producers as well as the American Cannabis Operator Index and the Ancillary Cannabis Index.
View the Public Cannabis Company Revenue & Income Tracker, which ranks the top revenue producing cannabis stocks that generate industry sales of more than US$15M per quarter.
Stay on top of some of the most important communications from public companies by viewing upcoming cannabis investor earnings conference calls.
Discover upcoming new listings with the curated Cannabis Stock IPOs and New Issues Tracker.
Alan & Joel